Something odd

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by IlluminatedTouch, Oct 5, 2007.

1. IlluminatedTouch

IlluminatedTouch New Member

Today, I noticed something very wierd on my touch. There is this faint little dot on the top of the front. Towards the left its wierd because its not a light or anything.... Anyone know as to what this?
  2. bugmenot

bugmenot Banned

make a picture and show where it is

maybe a broken pixel
  3. FearlessFreep

FearlessFreep New Member

That is the ambient light sensor.
  4. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    its the light sensor for the screen
  5. Urbz

Urbz New Member

DUDE!!!
    I have the same thing!
    At first, I thought I was the only one, but apparently not...
    ...couple minutes later...
    After running some test, I've concluded that it is the light sensor. It's what brightens/darkens the display based on lighting conditions.

-Urbz

PS I was sort of thinking mine was the only one like that, and therefore got all excited that mu touch was special. :'''(
  6. olcar2

olcar2 New Member

Urbz, you're talking about testing the ambient light sensor. Can you tell us more about it cause I really suspect mine of malfunction. I have been using my touch for almost two weeks now and I've never notice any change on the light intensity, even if I cover the sensor with my tumb.
  7. Urbz

Urbz New Member

Well first off, here's how it should work in a nutshell, just so we're on the same page:
    dark environment = dimmer screen backlight
    brighter environment = brighter screen backlight.
    This makes sense because it is harder to see a dim screen in bright light, and easier on the retinas to see a dim picture when in a dim setting.

Now, the sensor is crafted so that simply putting your thumb over it will not work. Remember: the screen suface is glass. Glass has a high index of refraction, and so will 'bend' more light. So a thumb covering it means it could still get light around the thumb.

Here's what worked for me to test if the sensor is in functioning order:
    1) Set the brightness slider to halfway, and turn auto-brightness on in the Brightness Settings pane.
    2) Get a sock (yes, a sock), or anything similar that will block out light.
    3) Put the light-blocker over the whole top of the screen, covering the full black bar and a little bit more, so that you can barely see the status bar of the iPod. Keep the sock over it and toggle the hold button.
    4) Make sure you're in a not too bright room (normally lit, if that makes sense) and with your other hand (not the one holding the sock!) press the home key and unlock. Make sure you're at the home screen, and just look at the black-level of the background.
    5) Walk near a lamp or window and remove the sock. Within a few seconds, you should notice the black level become brighter as a result.

Of course, you could probably figure out a way to use your hand and simplify this, but I think that's a pretty fool-proof way. Let me know if it works...

-Urbz
  8. olcar2

olcar2 New Member

I just read another thread talking about that ambient sensor. On that thread, they say that the change of intensity occurs only when the touch is back from sleep. I'll test that after work.
  9. Urbz

Urbz New Member

^^
    which is why in my test, the thing has to wake up to a dim setting and then realize (with the removal of the sock) that it's time to brighten up!
    As I said, worked for me!
  10. olcar2

olcar2 New Member

Thanks Urbz, I'll try that.

...Nice! The thing works, thanks for the tip!!!