Something between a PC tether and a dongle

Discussion in 'iPod touch 2G Jailbreak: redsn0w, 24kpwn, etc.' started by MuscleNerd, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The serial cable shown here can be built for less than $5 with very little soldering skill.

You need to use it with someone who already has a jailbroken device of some kind so they can send your device the "run rs\n\r" command.
  2. skittle7

skittle7 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I don't quite understand.
    One device has the code already on it that can be sent to the other to boot it?
  3. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The code is "run rs\n\r". You can either send that by launching minicom inside of mobileterm on the assisting device, or use a yet-to-be-made iPod/iPhone GUI to do that instead.

But like with the DefCON badge hack, all the receiving ipt2g needs to see is "run rs\n\r" over its serial line.

You could almost tap it into the receiving ipt2g. When rotary landline phones were still around you could tap the headset hook at the right cadence to dial a number, instead of using the rotary dial. Though that wasn't done in 8 microsecond bursts.
  4. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Can you post some infos about that serial cable you made , what does it do ??? It sends the 8 bytes from and ipod to another ipod???
  5. vannmann

vannmann New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    whats the hold-up with a plain'ol dongle?
  6. xTommyx

xTommyx New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Could this work with a phone that could be connected via usb? Using something similar to the picture?
  7. omokas

omokas Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    MuscleNerd i have a W910i (hacked) and i thought i should work if someone make an j2me application for it , although i think it supports HOST Mode , please answer
  8. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yep it's a basic serial connection
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    It could but the sender needs to be a USB master/host for the transaction. It's possible that USB OTG would work too but haven't looked into whether OTG is supported by iBoot.
  9. Qartin

Qartin Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Well whats the point of this. Most people just dont carry around 2 ipod touches.
  10. MuscleNerd

MuscleNerd Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It depends on your environment. I suspect many ipt2g users are in school and surrounded by other jailbroken ipt2g users.

But also, this approach is compatible with both the tethered/semi-tethethered flow, and also the dongle flow. So you can just configure yourself as tethered jb, and be happy with that. But then also carry this little 3-wire cable with you and be able to recover if your ipt2g reboots with you near another ipt2g jb user but not near your computer or your dongle.

It's all about choices

Please Register or Log in to view images

The more the better.