Some thoughts about useability

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dogman, Oct 22, 2007.

1. dogman

dogman New Member

i've had my ipod touch since day 1 (had a defective week 36 and got a subsequent replacement), but really haven't used it much because i've been waiting for a good case before taking it on my commute to work (two different trains - one sitting and one subway-like standing) as well as some walking. I finally got the DLO flip case this past weekend, so today was my first real use of the device. I have plenty of songs as well as some Howard Stern and some movies and TV.

I know its been discussed before, but I must say the volume thing is a real problem. When you commute and the external noise changes frequently, quick, easy volume control is really important. Having to flip the lid and tap and slide is a real pain in the ass.

When listening to a program like Howard Stern where you might want to frequently skip certain segments (or get back to where you left off), the slide function is much more difficult to navigate than a wheel.

Watching a movie or TV show is fantastic. When you get immersed in a show, your miserable commute surroundings completely melt away, even more so than when only using your ears.

I have yet to try the web browser, since I don't have wifi in my house. I wish I could pay for a data only plan and no phone.

Overall I love the device, its a real beauty, but the controls are a problem for me. I guess for now its a tradeoff that is worthwhile, because when i'm sitting and watching video its fantastic. If only it had a side volume control...
  2. Rallos

Rallos New Member

The search feature is your friend. But I will enlighten you. All you have to do while the screen is off is hit the home button twice quickly and it brings up a volume control and allows you to pause the music and such without having to slide.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Vasily

Vasily Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Or better yet, buy a remote for it and even easier access on the go

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. Max

Max New Member

Device:
    iPhone
  5. dogman

dogman New Member

It still a pain. You still have to look at the device, and the volume control is not as easy to maneuver as a wheel. With a wheel, you can put your hand in your pocket and adjust without looking. Makes a big difference when you are riding a train.
  6. dogman

dogman New Member

I don't use earbuds - they don't fit in my ear holes. I like to use Sony's "street style" behind the ears headphones... but it does look interesting.

... or do you plug your own headphones into the remote? its hard to tell from the photo.
  7. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

I picked up some bluetooth headphones and a bluetooth adapter for my Touch. Once working, the volume, pause/play, and next/previous track controls are on the headphones. You have to start the music app on the ipod, but once started it can hide in it's case in your pocket and you'll have easy control from the headphones themselves.
  8. DerekVOF

DerekVOF Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    FYI - Some computers nowadays are coming with Wi-Fi built-in (like the Mac mini and iMac) - you can actually set them up to act as a wireless gateway to your internet for free. Oh, and if you want Wi-Fi, you can pickup a wireless router from lots of places pretty cheap - I've seen 'em for as little as $20 on TigerDirect.