Some things I bought

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by uji101, Oct 17, 2007.

1. uji101

uji101 New Member

Well I have been browsing these forums for the past 4 weeks or so and I figured I would finally submit my first post. First of all I want to say we really have a great community aboard, and the posts here have been extremely helpful, especially the tutorials on jailbreaking the ipod touch and getting the 3rd party apps installed. So thank you for that.

I am posting pictures of two accessories I bought almost immediately since getting my 16 gig iPod Touch. They are 1) the iPod Touch Suede Jacket by Waterfield Designs http://www.sfbags.com/products/ipodsuedejacket/ipodsuedejacket.htm

and 2) the iPod Nano Remote https://www.kaidomain.com/WEBUI/ProductDetail.aspx?TranID=84

These two items were bought together for under $20 and they have been great investments. I like many of you was complaining about the lack of cases initially within the first 2 weeks of the iPod touch' release, and how easily fingerprints would smudge the screen. Luckily for me I found the Waterfield designs suede jacket that fit perfectly for the iPod touch. I particularly find it useful because it doubles as a cleaning cloth for my iPod touch, and doesn't add any unnecessary bulk to my iPod. Apple should have included something like this in the box. I forgot to mention that it was only $9, so one can't go wrong here.

My second complaint was the inability to have access to hardware buttons to control music playback, and how it was often necessary to look at the screen in order to shuffle to the next tracks, play/pause, increase volume. I immediately started googling for an iPod touch remote within the first day of my purchase and I came upon this obscure post on TUAW.com stating how a 3rd party accessory maker from China had a remote for the iPod Nano that worked for the iPod Touch. I immediately clicked the link they had posted leading to the KaiDomain product page. To my pleasant surprise at the time the remote was listed for $6.50 including shipping! Well I just received the remote today (which took about 2 and a half weeks to ship from China), and apart from the shipping delay I have to say this is a must have. The remote fully functions, and it does all the functions of my beloved 3rd Gen iPods remote. You can skip tracks forward and back, ffw & rwd during playback, play/pause, and turn off the iPod touch by holding down the play/pause button. My only real complaint with this product is that is rather ugly, and I wish they had managed to fit the audio and remote access into one plug rather than having one plug that goes into the headphones slot and one that goes into the iPod connector. But then again it was only $6.50, never advertised as an iPod touch accessory, yet works flawlessly aesthetics aside.

Until next time,

-uji101

Attached Files:

2. ShadowJPD

ShadowJPD New Member

First off, welcome!

I'm surprised that the Nano controller works well with the touch. You should add it to the list of accessories if you haven't done so already. Thanks to you, I'm going to want one of those in my stocking...

The suede jacket looks awesome. I already lost my cleaning cloth, and I really don't have much to protect it from getting scratched. I'm going to try and get one...

Thanks for the info!
  3. uji101

uji101 New Member

Thanks for the welcome.
    I to was surprised with how well it works with the iPod Touch- it works as if it was originally designed for it. If you are ordering it for a stocking stuffer I don't think you will mind the long shipping time. I imagine it took so long because it had to clear customs coming from China.
  4. ShadowJPD

ShadowJPD New Member

Thanks for the heads up.
  5. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Thats cool.
  6. wan3212

wan3212 New Member

very nice nano remote...
    im guessing it works with the screen off as well? well now i have another thing that i must buy

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. FlyAway

FlyAway New Member

Thanks for this post! I actually already have the WaterField suede jacket and also their "Smart Case," and I love them both. (Haven't purchased their Travel Case...yet. I've got it on my wish list, though.)

Please Register or Log in to view images

I have been wanting some type of remote as well so I will check those out. Thanks a lot!
  8. uji101

uji101 New Member

Hey guys just thought I would mention some stuff about the remote after my first 2 days of using it.

The remote can turn the iPod touch on and off; but whenever you change tracks, or adjust volume, even if your screen was already off, it will turn on again and then automatically switch off after a few seconds. To minimize depletion of my battery I keep the brightness all the way down.

One last thing I want to point out is that the remote connects to the iPod via the dock port, and then has a separate wire that goes into the headphones slot for the audio bypass from the remote (you can see this from the pictures above). With my Shure headphones since the wire is so long, I just keep the headphones plugged into the iPod touch, and let the audio wire from the remote dangle/ remain tucked in my pocket. I then just clip the remote onto my jacket or on my jeans pocket so all that is visible is the remote. So basically you can leave your headphones plugged in directly to the iPod if the wire is really long, or you can plug them into the remote itself if your headphones are the shorter variety.

Take care

-uji101
  9. FlyAway

FlyAway New Member

Good tip, thanks.