Some questions before i buy an Ipod touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Linus Wynter, Feb 15, 2009.

1. Linus Wynter

Linus Wynter New Member

Okay, im looking to buy an ipod touch soon, but have a few questions.

1.Is 32gb to big? I know, you can never have too much space, but im not a huge music fan (Meaning i dont have thosands upon thosands of songs)

2.Do movies take up alot of space? I was planning to have 4 or 5 on there..how much space would it take up?

3.Can i put my own movie files on there? Theres some movies i want on my ipod touch not on itunes (300 is one).

4.Apps dont take up alot of space, right?

5.Does the ipod touch have external speakers?

6.Ive been reading about jailbreaking, and im a bit cautios with it. It seems i have extremely bad luck when it comes with technology (for example i just bought a new 120g harddrive for my 360, had to send it back), and i really dont want to screw up a $300 (or $400 for that matter) ipod. I know everyone says its safe and legal and risk free, but come on, nothing is ever really risk free. Ive heard all the "good" things about jbing, now i would like to hear the bad.
  2. DS-Magic

DS-Magic Member

Tell you the truth, if you're jailbreaking, you are almost for sure not going to break your Ipod.. worst thing that can happen is you have to restore, which basically means that you go into Itunes and you reset to the factory default with whatever firmware you have downloaded..

as far as the rest of the questions.. 32 GB is a question of opinion, movies take up about 500-750MB meaning on a 32GB you can fit maybe 60-ish movies.. your own movies can be placed on your ipod as long as you convert the file format to one compatible with the ipod and the second generation ipod does have external speakers..

lol oh, and apps dont take up much space.. it depends on the app, but most of them are under 10MB.. my largest app was beatmaker, which is about 150MB (but they can go higher)..
  3. elixile

elixile New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Yes. For you it is. Get the 16gb and fill it up with movies and apps since you're not a huge music fan.

2. Let's say a movie was 2 or 3 gbs. So yeah, you can calculate that.

3. Yes you can. But you need to convert them to a file that your iPod supports, I usually convert them to MP4. To convert, you need a software. Just google DVDVideosoft and download.

4. Not really. Most of your space would be movies since you don't have much music

5. Yes. The Second Generation one has. Quality? Mediocre. But still listenable.

6. I can't answer this one yet.
  4. mchevalier

mchevalier New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    #1 You just answered it, you can never have too much storage space.
    #2 Use Handbrake to make DVD movies compatible with the ipod touch. A 2 hour movie comes down to 440 MB. You do the math.
    #3 Yes you can put your own movies on the 'touch. Use Handbrake or other program and set the format to H.264 or mp4
    #4 Most apps are a few MB or less, many are less than 1 MB
    #5 The second generation has an internal speaker, actually it's a piezo element. It's tinny and won't play very loud.
    #6 I'll jb mine when an untethered jb comes out.
  5. Linus Wynter

Linus Wynter New Member

okay

Thanks, that probably saved me an extra 100 bucks. Im still leaning towards not jailbreaking, but ill keep looking into it.
  6. 42395_skyline

42395_skyline Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    a 8GB or 16GB should be good for you. i ahve a 16GB and i have over 150 apps, 300 songs, bout 25 music videos, 5 or 6 movies. and i still have alot of space.
  7. idk761

idk761 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Yep, that is it bassically
  8. neonblues

neonblues New Member

8 GB is enough for you, with around 50 apps(700 MB) and 250+(1GB) songs since you're not music fan(just choose your your musics), you can still fill it up with up to 10 movies(4GB -- full movies are just 200-400 MB only, sometimes 150MB movie is good, ipod format) and have extra spaces...