Some Macbook questions

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by SeeFreaky, Jun 26, 2008.

1. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Okay, my dad agreed to purchasing me a macbook. I have some questions concerning it though. Does the Macbook come with a word processing software? Also, what's the difference between a combo drive and a double layer SuperDrive? Final question, should I get the cheapest macbook, or is that not enough?
  2. flattop95

flattop95 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    It does not come with a word processor, you can download neo office for free, at neoffice dot org, or you can buy iworks for $79 or microsoft office for $150, i have microsoft office and i love it. A combo drive cannot burn dvds, and the double layer super drive is more powerful. Do not get the cheapest one, get the black one if you can, that is the one my mom bought me, and that is by far the best one, it comes with 250gb hard drive and i only have 80gb left, so my mom made the right choice.
  3. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Ooh, thanks. I'll probably spring for the 1300 dollar one, because i like the white color. Besides, the only difference between the $1300 and the black one is that the black one has more space. 160 gb will be a HUGE upgrade for the 50 gb space i have on my Desktop now. Also, i'll probalby purchase the $150 microsoft office.
  4. [ß]

[ß] New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    All macs have word processing, it's called TextEdit.
    It's actually pretty good and easy to use, just not very fancy.
  5. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    i agree with him. i have iWorks 08, and its really really reliable and quick!

dont ever get the basic model, get a superdrive, it can rip DVD's as quoted.
    i have the black model and its much nicer, but u have to pay (i think) $100 extra for the same configurations in white/black. black is more expensive
  6. olicf

olicf New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I recently got the black MacBook and I think It looks 10x nicer than the white and a lot less tacky!
  7. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    i got the first price macbook (2.1GHz), and if you dont look for a lot of space, it is perfect. The processor is really fast, and 1Gb of memory i enough, even though im going to upgrade to 2Gb....
    I still have 60Gb of hard drive to use, so im good with it.
    Im running iwork and its perfect! Cheaper than Microsoft office, and very fast.

If you're gonna use more than 120Gb of space, take the 1300$ model, if you wont, dont spend more money than you should. There really is no real difference between 2.4 and 2.1GHz when it comes to dual core.

Also, if you're gonna do games, dont go with a macbook at all, go for a macbook pro, but im guessing you're not gonna do games!

Anyway, good luck finding you're perfect macbook!!

PS: Of course if you're gonna burn dvd's, dont go with the 2.1GHz macbook. I chose it because i dont burn dvd's on a laptop.
  8. Monkey Jam

Monkey Jam New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I thi you should wait it out until Q4..ive been looking around and apparently new ali MacBooks are coming in..and snow leopard..so id wait it out for a bit
  9. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    thats kinda hard, when i want something and have the money, id buy it straight away
    and also, yeh might as well wait for snow leopard.
    unless u dont like the aluminium feel like me

Reason: i dont like aluminium because i have dry hands, and i cant get grip on iPods/macs with aluminium, making them slip out of my hands and not getting frip
  10. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Same here, besides i don't really like Aluminum finishes because they can get scratched. Imagine having a macbook and when you take it out, there's a huge scratch. That would suck big time.