Some iPhone owners crave freedom to unlock from AT&T

Discussion in 'Latest Tech News and Rumors' started by eKoKnight, Jul 7, 2009.

1. eKoKnight

eKoKnight Member

Who really controls your Apple iPhone? If you think you do, think again. AT&T, the U.S. distributor, requires iPhone owners to use its wireless networks exclusively. Those who "jailbreak" their devices and use another carrier void the warranty.
    Even if you pay full retail ($500 to $700), you still have to agree to use AT&T's network, or it won't sell you the device. Subsidized iPhones start at $199 but require a two-year service agreement.

As for trying to use your state-of-the-art device to place calls over the Internet, good luck. The iPhone's Skype application works on Wi-Fi but not on AT&T's 3G network. Other iPhone apps work on both. AT&T says the block is justified, because Skype is a direct competitor.

Customers have two choices: They can suck it up and stay with AT&T, or storm the wall. So far, more than 300,000 iPhone owners are now using T-Mobile's network and data plans, according to two people with direct knowledge of the situation. Those scaling the wall include owners of the new iPhone 3G S, which hit retail shelves in mid-June. The sources declined to be named because they aren't authorized to talk publicly about iPhone customers.

The lesson?

Click on link for full story.

More Info:
    Source: USA Today

I found this intresting...
  2. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Eh, this is nothing new, and while I'm not particularly fond of AT&T, I find it misguided. AT&T has the right to exclusivity, and the right (for now) to prevent Skype calls over its network. I mean, come on, Skype is like $3 a month for unlimited calls? Try that with AT&T or any carrier! AT&T has a right to protect its business. As long as they don't charge exorbitant fees for tethering (free, anyone?), I will be a satisfied customer.
  3. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    i agree with this.