Some how deleted/cant boot into xp

Discussion in 'Linux' started by MadSon011, Jul 8, 2008.

1. MadSon011

MadSon011 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    so i liked ubuntu after trying it and i decided to install it. The problem was every time i tried to partition my hard drive it said " too small". So i kept trying and finally got mad and clicked the largest available free space and now i think it removed my xp. Im pretty noobish to linux and cant get it to connect to my wifi so im kinda screwed. I noticed that it shows the drive as partitioned. Does anyone know of a way to fix it or should i just buy a new desktop/ laptop.(this was done on a desktop bought in 2005)
  2. ajkiwi88

ajkiwi88 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah there is two options if ubuntu full installed reboot and press any key at the first mention of grub this should take you into the grub menu and you should see bellow the ubuntu (possibly two listings of ubuntu) a section that says windows xp if not reboot push a key and tell me what it says as i run and manage ubuntu system daily lol
  3. element_skater_dude

element_skater_dude New Member

When you boot the computer it doesn't ask what system you would like to run?
    When you say you can't get your wifi to work, do you mean the router or the network adapter?
  4. MadSon011

MadSon011 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    it has 3 options. In order:
    Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-19-generic
    Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-19-generc (recovery mode)
    Ubuntu 8.04.1, mem test 86+
  5. ajkiwi88

ajkiwi88 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    right it has overwritten ur windows instalation basically you have two options one is reinstall windows the second is go to programs then add/remove programs and enable all repos click update then go to system admin and restricted drivers it might have a drive then for your wireless what is your wireless adapter?
  6. MadSon011

MadSon011 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    my wireless adapter i think is a belkin and my router is a 2wire. Also i dont think i have a copy of xp but my mom works in IT and one of the guys that works with her has a vista install cd.would it be ok if i installed vista i stead of xp
  7. ajkiwi88

ajkiwi88 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    yeah bassicaly you can either install windows and reinstall grub/edit the mbr or you can reinstall windows and then reinstall ubuntu the way you tried or use a virtual machine or you can install windows and just leave ubuntu if you need any more help with ubuntu give us a shout
  8. whassuo

whassuo Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you try the new verson of Linux 8.04, I think it might have the driver on that because I tried with Fiesty Fawn and it didn't but with Heron it did.
  9. dima the great

dima the great New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Try going into System>Administration>Hardware Drivers (while connected to the Internet with a wired connection of course) and there should be a driver for your card. If not you have to find out what card you have and find the driver for that.