Some applications not saving data after closing

Discussion in 'iPod touch 1.1.3 Application Compatibility' started by alakbar, Feb 1, 2008.

1. alakbar

alakbar New Member

I noticed that several of the applications (ex: islots, icountdown,) don't save the data after closing. When I start them again everything starts as if it was the first time used after installing them. For some applications like icountdown this problem makes it useless; for others, it just means that I have to start all over again.
    Any ideas on why the data is not saved or is lost after closing the application?
    Thanks
  2. windowsexpert08

windowsexpert08 New Member

try getting the application called bosstool if you havent yet and then rellocate fonts and applications then try. Because you mite not have enough room for the tempsavs to store.
  3. alakbar

alakbar New Member

I did do that with over 100MB now available, and I have been installing more applications without any problems.
  4. johnnypuffs

johnnypuffs New Member

moving apps does not solve it

For me SIP-VoIP will not save settings

Have set permissions, etc. Nothing works
  5. alakbar

alakbar New Member

Does anyone know where the Apps data is stored just before closing, so that it is available the next time it's opened? If it is a file, what is the the name of this file and where would it be. Is it possible that when BossTool was used to move the Apps to freeup more memory, that linkage to this data file was lost?
    Just trying to figure this out, any ideas?
    Thanks
  6. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ssh into your ipod touch.

check if you have the root Preferences folder:

ls -ld /var/root/Library/Preferences

Output should be something like:
    drwxrwxrwx 2 root wheel 306 Feb 2 06:15 /var/root/Library/Preferences

Not there? paste these commands into your shell - if it is there but is not rwxrwxrwx, just paste in the second command

mkdir /var/root/Library/Preferences
    chmod a+rwx /var/root/Library/Preferences

exit the ssh session. Try the apps again, they might be able to save settings now.

** why this works **
    In 1.1.3, apps now run as user "mobile", so their default home directory is /var/mobile, and they don't have permission to access /var/root. Older (1.1.2) apps expect to be running as root, and assume that /var/root/Library/Preferences exists, and that they can create files in that directory. In 1.1.3, it either does not exist or if it does, its permissions are not set to be read/write/search by everyone. The two commands above create the directory and change the permissions so user mobile can make files in there...

So now (hopefully) old 1.1.2 apps can make their settings.plist files again. It worked for me for several apps, like iFlix, gpSPhone, screenshot, etc...

Good luck!
  7. cloongoon

cloongoon New Member

John, I tried this. Changed the permissions and restarted the iPod and iFlix still doesn't work for me. It just opens up a white screen sits for a sec then closes and goes back to the home screen. I've tried reinstalling too.
  8. alakbar

alakbar New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. You were correct about the missing "Pereference" folder, so I went ahead and pasted the two command lines and did see that I now have this folder in the root/Library path. However, the two apps that I tried (islots and icountdown) are still not retaining any prior-to-closing data. I've tried uninstalling and then reinstalling both, but with no success. I really thought this would work, but something is still missing. Maybe someone knows the specifics of these apps so that I can confirm whether there is a missing folder or path or linkage.
    Again thanks for the good suggestions.
  9. johnInSJ

johnInSJ Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Hm. That's exactly what it was doing to me, before I made the Prefs directory.

In /var/root/Library/Preferences, there is a file
    com.biosfire.iFlix.Accounts

if that isn't there, or it can't make the file, it won't open.

I may have opened up the directory above that dir, lemme check

check
    ls -ld /var/root/Library

mine is also fully open drwxrwxrwx

chmod a+rwx /var/root/Library

ls -ld /var/root

mine is also fully open drwxrwxrwx

chmod a+rwx /var/root

I don't think you need to open root up that much, but try first opening up Library, if that works, great, if not open up root.

There is some risk to doing this - but its no different then under 1.1.2, when everything ran as root anyway.

Alternately, you could make the iFlix app suid root.
  10. cloongoon

cloongoon New Member

com.biosfire.iFlix.Accounts isn't in either Pref folder (mobile or library) so the app obviously can't create it for some reason. I changed the permissions and rebooted. Still the same thing. I don't know what "make the iFlix app suid root" means. Any further suggestions?