Solving the Codesign Warning / Provision error

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by CuriousG, Jun 4, 2009.

1. CuriousG

CuriousG New Member

Hello,

I hope this helps some folks out. I've seen lots of posts on the internets on the following errors while building to device:

CodeSign warning: provisioning is not applicable for product type 'Application' in SDK 'Device - iPhone OS 2.2.1'; ignoring...​

and while in the debugger:

Error from Debugger: Reply contains invalid hex digit 116​

I believe that these errors arise from changing XCode's plists so that it can build to device without a proper certificate. I say this because I had done the same thing in order to be able to build my code for device more easily as I evaluated getting a true certificate.

Since then, I have gotten a true certificate from Apple, which is when I began to see these errors.

Of course, the errors are not very specific, but why should they be? I messed around with configs in a way XCode did not expect. We're lucky to get any error at all!

Anyway, once I restore the following files to their original state:

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Info.plist
    /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS*.sdk/SDKSettings.plist​

Both errors disappeared! Hurrah.

Also, something else I noticed. When I created my provisioning profiles they were not showing up in the Target Settings Code Sign area, even though I downloaded them, and installed them into the device with XCode's Organizer window. What their documentation fails to mention is that you ALSO have to install it into the Organizer windows left sidebar "iPhone Development / Provisioning Profiles" section. This might be done automatically if you drag the profile to the XCode icon in the bottom toolbar, but if you have problems, look there.

Again, I hope this helps someone out.

- George

PS: Buy a certificate, your time spent trying to figure out why something is not working is worth more than the $99 they are charging to just have it work.
  2. centroid

centroid New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Couldn't you just reinstall xcode?
  3. CuriousG

CuriousG New Member

That might be possible, except I also saw issues from folks who were having a hard time getting XCode to uninstall cleanly. Also, if you've already made other config / preference changes to XCode, you could lose those. My post gets to the root as to why this error is showing up in the first place, as there are specific lines that get added to the PLists that tell XCode not to require and not to allow for provisioning profiles.

Also, hopefully folks remembered to back up the original PLists before editing them in the first place. Putting them back is a lot faster than reinstalling.

- George
  4. gojohnnyboi

gojohnnyboi Well-Known Member

Code:
    /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all