software exception error message while trying to sync new 32g Touch to iTunes

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by eidling, Jul 26, 2010.

1. eidling

eidling New Member

Hi - This is my first posting. I'm pretty good with PC related stuff, but know little about the Touch. I just bought my daughter an 32gb because she had filled her 8gig and wanted to keep pretty much everything on it. When she went to sync it to Itunes, it would transfer a few songs, then stop and display the message:

The exception unknown software exception (0XC0000409) occurred in the application at location 0X1004BE7E.

The problem occurred regardless of which USB port I used and the version of iTunes is the most recent.

I took the pertinent directories and made them into a compressed file. I put it on a different computer and installed iTunes on it, then moved the files into the appropriate directory. I also externally attached the laptop's HD to the other computer and transferred the files in the appropriate directory. I forget which one I ended up going with, but it was mostly successful. But this is not the computer she or I want her on when she is listening to music, syncing, etc.

By the way the computer we are having trouble on is running XP Pro, SP3.

I would greatly appreciate help with this. She was so excited to get the new Touch, but this quickly turned to frustration...

thanks!
  2. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    I would try uninstalling iTunes on that computer, restart, and reinstall.
  3. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    try a different usb cord.
  4. eidling

eidling New Member

I wanted to do that, but was nervous about losing some of my daughter's files, music, playlist.

Where can I find instructions on how to uninstall and reinstall iTunes without losing anything?

thanks!!
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    thanks - would a usb cable work with her 8gig iTouch, but not a 32gig, because we had no problems with her original cable. No harm in trying a different cable, though! thanks again!
  5. Lux2GS

Lux2GS Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Just back up the files under C:\Users\<Your Username>\Music\iTunes
    This way you won't loose music you bought with iTunes.

EDIT: If you're using a Mac I can't help you

Please Register or Log in to view images

6. eidling

eidling New Member

Thanks - we have a PC, so no problem. Just copy everything in that directory to somewhere else and then everything should be restorable after an uninstall and reinstall of iTunes, correct?

thank you again!
  7. HeadReaper

HeadReaper Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    You wouldn't really lose anything because it's already paid for. It'd just be a matter of redownloading it, if you have to at all. And a USB cable wouldn't work for one device and not another. But trying a different cable (such as the one that came with the 32) wouldn't hurt. I'd try that before uninstalling iTunes.