So Would this be borderline crazy

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by poisonjam, Mar 2, 2008.

1. poisonjam

poisonjam New Member

Upgrading the memory for the ipod touch

It looks tedious, though… The iPod Touch’s persistent data is stored on Flash, which is soldered to one of the daughter cards inside the device:

Please Register or Log in to view images

:from appleinsider

Those two Toshiba TSOP TH58NVG5D4CTG20 chips are 32 Gigabit (4 GigaBytes) each, making up the 8 GB in the entry level Touch model. I’ll bet it’s possible to desolder those chips and replace them with higher capacity ones, but it’s a serious soldering project not for the faint of heart. It would be much, much easier just to swap that entire board out with a newer one, if all the connectors still mate.
  2. Shade

Shade New Member

count me out

i dont need the size... if you do it post a pic by pic tut for other people insane enough to do it
  3. 1337chaos

1337chaos Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    if you had the cash to buy a 8 GB, why spend your time even trying this when you can spend $100 more for double the space, instead of risking completely ruining your 8 GB to upgrade its memory, which will probably cost you more for the board/memory than the $100 extra would have in the first place
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

Fuggeddaboutit. Unless you have crazy-mad surface-mount soldering skills, don't even attempt it. Those joints are tiny and spaced really close together (looks to be under 0.25mm). You'd better have surgeon's hands, a hawk's eye, a really fine-tipped iron, thin wire solder and some paste flux, and the patience of a saint. And of course, higher capacity flash chips.

Better just to buy the device you want. For what you'll shell out, plus the time and patience you'll invest in a project that may not even work out in the end, it's much easier just to pony up.
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    If you were Magneto from X-Men...
  6. 4dthinker

4dthinker New Member

Sounds like a simple weekend project to me. Let us know how it turns out.

7. rokrboy

rokrboy Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPod touch
    Simple! Hah thats the farthest that you can get from simple. I agree that I would rather just shell out a couple hundred more bucks for memory instead of actually changing it.
  8. Faktor4

Faktor4 Active Member

get a huge memory for it

LOL the original 100GB iPod touch
  9. Asuraku

Asuraku Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    I've got the stuff to do that. I bought a whole bunch of equipment when I was modding old game consoles for a friend awhile ago. Formating the memory to work with the iPod would be the hardest part. I don't even know how you would begin to do that.
  10. Spyda

Spyda Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    not to mention, balls of steel