So will developers start focusing on apps that will only work on 3Gs?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sbelli, Oct 23, 2009.

1. sbelli

sbelli New Member

I just got my 2G 8G Ipod Touch a few weeks ago and am loving it (it was $40 less than the 3G version and since there was no difference basically in the 8GB models, I went for it).

However, I'm concerned that with the faster processor in the newer 3G 32GB and 64GB models that developers will start trying develop more complex applications that just won't run on the 2G models (or the 3G 8GB for that matter).

Think that will happen? Or do developers realize that there's already millions of 2Gs out there (and people too cheap to buy the larger size 3G models) and will continue to focus on what will work on everything?

Always get those little buyer regret kind of things...not that I could afford a 32G or 64GB model to begin with.
  2. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Developers will always try to support every iPod and iPhone model.
    They'll make more money doing that.

However, there are some games and applications developers are starting to take advantage of.
    That's just how technology is!....
  3. ZhiZhi778

ZhiZhi778 Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I think they'll continue focusing on apps that will work on all devices and since the 2G is just one generation ago it surely will get support for an expanded timespan.
    also another point would be:
    the devs won't make profit by supporting apple to sell their new devices, no it's the opposite:
    if the apps are only for the newer models then there will be many many users locked out and that would mean= just very few buyers left= profit is going down^^

yeah - it's always money what plays the big role umm...

but a few apps will definetely be exclusive for the newer devices cuz features like voice control etc. aren't supported onolder devices.
    or complex 3D simulations (but not games because games need buyers) for example for chemicals or bio-chemical models - because of the better GPU (gfx card) on the 3G or 3GS

//edit: bubalooshi was faster^^
  4. 4NewHop3

4NewHop3 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    ^^ this =P

BTW wrong section!
  5. _JKK_

_JKK_ Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Eventually, probably. For now, though, you are good.
  6. Noise...

Noise... Banned

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    As a developer, I try to support all models, and use a 1G and 3G for testing.

I have seen some apps (specifically the more intense games) crawl quite slow on the 1G, but as far as non-games, I see no reason why the 1G, 2G, and 3G models wouldn't all be supported. Many game developers also include methods of lowering graphics to better mesh with the 1G and 2G models.

I plan to always support all models with my apps, and I would hope that other devs do the same.
  7. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    System Requirements
    System Requirements
    System Requirements

The new PC. Mobile devices.