So why is 2.0 $10

Discussion in 'iPod touch Firmware 1.1.5 Discussions' started by Afterwords, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Afterwords

Afterwords New Member

I know according to some SOx accounting law they have to charge for updates. Why then, don't they have to charge for 1.1.5, but they do for 2.0?
  2. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Did 1.1.5 add:

• 3rd Party Software Support/App Store
    • VPN and other Wireless Security
    • Microsoft Exchange
    • Apple's MobileMe
    • Data Fetching/Pushing
    • A lot of Extra languages

And a lot of other features.

I think not.
  3. tipii

tipii New Member

LOL at above

Yea he answered it.
  4. lvlln

lvlln New Member

Actually, there is no law mandating that Apple charge for 2.0. The SOx law does not mandate that a company adding features via firmware updates after the sale has to charge any amount of money. 2.0 costs $10 because Apple wants to suck more money out of you. It might have cost them more to make a 1.1.5 and give it out for free, but by doing so, they've set the precedent that they'll charge for firmware updates in the future, which is well worth it for them.

But always keep in mind, Apple is NOT handcuffed in this issue at all. The only reason for the charges for the January app pack and 2.0 firmware update is that they can, and it makes them more money.
  5. mike918

mike918 New Member

It's because apple hates you for not getting an actual iPhone so in that way they are actually pushing you to get one.
  6. iKeablr

iKeablr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    LMAO!!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

7. Apple Guy

Apple Guy Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Roflcopter!
  8. tartarus51

tartarus51 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    lol

they dont charge on the iphone because the plan you're forced onto is already expensive enough - think about all the monthly phone fees
    apparently the 1.1.5 is simply 1.1.4 renamed but i doubt it because there is a file size difference.
    putting out a 1.1.5 also wouldn't cost Apple any money - correct me if i'm wrong - aside from maybe paying the developers to fix the bugs, if that really is what 1.1.5 does
    also it is said 1.1.5 adds something new that will be a sign to Apple if it has been tampered with (jailbroken)
    none of this is official.

anyone know how to fix source adding? i have started a thread on this already
  9. TouchKid2.0

TouchKid2.0 Banned

BECAUSE they want to scam us lol no just kidding. He's right we just buy the touch and were set, besides buying stuff off itunes but people usually use other ways they can't let us off that easy, besides why is everybody getting worked over the ten dollars if you don't want to pay there's always stayng with installer besides everyone knows how to get 2.0 without paying anyway.
  10. xcheetahx123

xcheetahx123 New Member

1.1.5 is just so people cant get 2.0 for free by going into DFU and deleting 1.1.4 from their computer