So why go through the headache and worry of jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Epiphony, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Epiphony

Epiphony New Member

So far I don't get this whole jail break thing. It seems like people are purposely making one of the sleekest and most easy and fun mini media computers and making it overly complicated and full of headaches. I mean damn guys I know it does a lot of cool thing and has potential to do even more but after reading in forums about all the crap and risk you have to go through to enjoy a jail broken Ipod touch it just doesn't seem worth it.

I've been spending all my time loading my touch with really cool apps, movies, photos, audio books, radio shows, games, utilities, and on top of all those things I can even surf the net. All my free time so far has been doing these things when my girlfriend isn't sneaking away with it of course.

Please Register or Log in to view images

The only reason I even looked into jailbreaking my touch was because I wanted to have Wikipedia and other websites offline. Well turns out that's already an app.

I'd like to hear why you guys wanted to jail break your ipods. I'm curious.
  2. wSYayo

wSYayo New Member

some people do it for the rush, some people do it because they dont want to pay for apps, some do it to fully customize their device how they want. Me personally I jailbroke because i have this thing that if i buy something...no matter what it is, i would like to use it as i see fit and not be told how i can use my device

with that being said every gaming system, phone, mp3, hand held device i own/owned has been modified, and i will continue to do so until i die

f*** THE ESTABLISHMENT
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    YEAH. BECAUSE WE DON'T NEED ANYTHING THE GOVERNMENT PROVIDES! Not protection, not food, not national defense, not medical treatment, not education. f*** THE ESTABLISHMENT AND ALL IT PROVIDES FOR US!

Now with the Apple establishment: f*** THE APPLE ESTABLISHMENT AND THEM FOR CREATING THIS DEVICE IN THE FIRST PLAC FOR ME TO SCREW AROUND WITH! APPLE SO GAIIII OMFG OMFG OMFG OMGFOMGOMOFMGOMFOMONOMOMGOFMGMFMOGMOM

Diptard.
  4. Epiphony

Epiphony New Member

Oh I totally agree with the fact that iphone/touch users should have the freedom to treat this thing just like a personal computer. The only reason people have to go through all the trouble they are and worry about warranties is because of all the steps that Apple takes to stop them.

It's bullsh*t.

So am I right though is jailbreaking a huge amount of time and headache only to have it all start again on the next update?
  5. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Is there anything that is forcing you to update?
  6. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Yeah, you're not forced to update or do anything like that....
    If you don't want to go through the process, then don't update.
    And I don't see why people complain about Apple so god damn much.
    They're the ones who make the stuff for you guys to mess around with.
  7. wSYayo

wSYayo New Member

the good thing about jailbreaking is that you can restore back to the OEM firmware in the event that you have to send your ipod for repairs or what not (granted that the reason you are sending it in allows you to restore) and i haven't heard of anyone's ipod being rejected (friends anyway, i dont know about people on here). it is not all that hard to jailbreak..you just have to know how to follow directions and read
  8. ExtremePod

ExtremePod New Member

As far as my motivation to jailbreak, wSYayo put it into words very well. I have hacked my PC, PSP, iPod video, and now the iPod touch is a part of the family. I'd say a number of things make me want to hack my stuff - extended functionality, a better device, and just the experience of having hacked it. It's a good thing to do.
  9. Epiphony

Epiphony New Member

I know what your'e saying but I think what people complain about is the fact that apple tries so hard to stop them from customizing/jailbreaking/hacking/mutating something they paid a lot of money for.

I'm sure Apple is going to come around and offer some kind of "advanced" OS or apps that the geeks can get into without the headache.

I mean Apple has to see that a huge amount of people are either jailbreaking or contemplating jailbreaking.

I mean hell the original computers were spawned from super geeks taking TVs and electronics apart to create something totally different. So why wouldn't Apple know that there are going to be the same people today doing these things.
  10. Danls92

Danls92 Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    It can be a headache to set-up (i've personally never had any problems), but the pay-off it worth it. I personally despise the default interface, and I'm happy to finally have one sleek enough to match the device.