So what is the thing that makes Blackrain so much faster and better?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Reaper-X, Oct 24, 2009.

1. Reaper-X

Reaper-X Banned

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hey guys. I am wondering what the difference is between blackrain and the previous jailbreaking programs?

How come blackrain can jailbreak the ipod real quickly without even getting rid of anything while the other jailbreaks don't?

I am eager to learn about this stuff so yeah
  2. whcodered

whcodered Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    It's simply the method of attack. The previous jailbreak programs would be able to do this if the creators wanted to. (An additional/different exploit may be required to do this, I am unsure of the technical details there.)

However, the main drawback is that you MUST install the official ispw (firmware package) to the iPod/iPhone through iTunes. For the iPod touch this doesn't matter, but for iPhone users who want to keep their phone unlocked (so they can use any carrier they want), you have to make sure to only update using modified firmware packges that do not upgrade the baseband. An exploit in an old version of the baseband enables the unlock. At the moment it is impossible to downgrade the baseband once it is above a certain version, so this is critical.

Currently the only team working on this kind of unlock is the Dev Team, and they create the PwnageTool that makes the custom ispw that unlocked iPhone users desire. This method obviously works for iPod touch users as well, so they just get bundled together.