So what exactly is "OTHER" (one min it takes up a gig, the next, only a few MB's)

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sdschramm, Dec 2, 2008.

1. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    just as the title says - I was wondering if anyone knew what the "other" is on my iPod.

Please Register or Log in to view images

One second it is only a few MB's and thats ok. But then sometimes I plug my iPod in to sync, and it says that "other" is taking up over a gig of space. Then, when I try and sync it, I'll get endless amounts of errors say:

"You are out of space - do you want to delete your Music?"
    NO!
    "You are out of space - do you want to delete your Photos?"
    NO!
    "You are out of space - do you want to delete your Podcasts?"
    NO!
    "You are out of space - do you want to delete your Applications?"
    NO!

You get the point.

Any ideas?
  2. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

it happens to me usually when i sync my ipod.

but when i re-sync, it just go back to normal.

no problem at all.

and plus: the "other" i think is the OS of the ipod. if you know what i mean.

3. mikec1985

mikec1985 Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    No i thought other is you jailbreak apps. It only reads the app store apps as apps.
  4. specialsyco

specialsyco New Member

other is the jailbroken apps and the os
  5. reluttr

reluttr New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Other is the operating system, configuration files, jailbreak files, jailbreak apps, themes, roms, and generally anything that doesnt fit into the other 4 catagorys. You cannot remove "Other" because the bulk of it is the operating system, and if you removed that then the phone wouldn't work to well

Also sometimes one of the other databases "the catagorys" might get read wrong and itunes just merges them with "other". This is why it randomly changes, nothing to worry about really unless it sticks "meaning it is corrupted". Then you will need to either delete all data off your phone through settings or restore

If you want to free up space why dont you take off the video's you dont watch and back up your photos locally on your pc/mac?
  6. sdschramm

sdschramm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    No, my jailbroken stuff is on its own "partition" that is why it says my capacity is 6.88GB when I really have an 8GB iPod. - When I jailbroken, I believe I set it to a 700MB partition for apps and stuff - so none of that will show up in iTunes. Its like there two separate "disks" so iTunes is clueless in what is in those other 700MB