So is VOIP on the touch worth it?

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by Christoff, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Christoff

Christoff New Member

I mean with things like cell phones and calling cards do you really find yourself using it that often? Obviously you have to be by WIFI and such. I'll be moving to Spain soon and was thinking of getting the microphone and such so I can call the friends and family back home. But alas, the computer does have a microphone, so I'm not sure how often I would be using it.

Is the sound clear? Good signal? Etc etc? What's the best microphone to use?
  2. mrsgadget

mrsgadget New Member

Go to touchmods and order one of their microphones, i did and I am really pleased with it. The reason I have voip on my ipod touch, is, when I am somewhere I can get on wifi, then it is obviously cheaper to use than your mobile, especailly if you are abroad.
  3. Delta420

Delta420 New Member

Seriously!!!

What kind of cell phone company lets you make tons of long distance phone calls for dirt cheap?
  4. arob92

arob92 New Member

i live in spain
  5. Christoff

Christoff New Member

Which is the best mic to use? Do you need to use headphones?

Can you use the microphone as speakers?
  6. SkaterGOD/DOOD23

SkaterGOD/DOOD23 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Christoff, considering your situation, if you can have wifi wherever you are in Spain. Then Sip-VoIP will be a VERY good investment. It's about three+ times cheaper then owning a cell-phone and no extra charges for calling long distance.

Your questions:
    Which is the best microphone to use?

Either buy a microphone from Touchmods (Touchmods.net for more information) or Jvandervalk (Private Message Jvandervalk for more details - his username IS Jvandervalk).

Do you need to use headphones?

To receive output (the other person's voice) from the IpodTouch you must have earphones, speakers, or a output device to hear the other person.

Can you use the microphone as speakers?

The microphone is only for input and is not for output (so you can't hear anything out of it). So NO you cannot use the microphone as 'speakers'.

Is the sound clear?

The sound is mostly clear depending on your connection; at times you will hear the voice a couple seconds after it is said, which is perfectly fine. Sometimes they will be fading in and out, which means you are not establishing a good connection with the Sip Server (You have crappy wifi).

Good signal?

This ties in with my above statement, if you have good wifi (what I speculate you to mean signal by) then the Sip-VoIP will work much better and be one-hundred percent clearer.