So... IE8s.

Discussion in 'Audiophiles: Headphones, Earphones, etc.' started by jasonleb1, Oct 3, 2010.

1. jasonleb1

jasonleb1 New Member

Are IE8s considered the best in-ears by many? I can't really think of anything I want for my birthday so I figured I'd ask for some because apparently my Tours (or anything by Monster) are considered crap.
  2. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

They're crap if YOU consider them crap. If you're happy with the sound quality from them, then they're fine for you. But other people, who are huge audiophiles, may find them really bad.
  3. VoLTaG3

VoLTaG3 New Member

People who know how instruments should sound will think the Monster earphones and headphones are crap. And, I don't blame em'. The Sennheiser IE8 are NOT the best earphones. But, they're better than any Monster rubbish. The best earphones are the Westone ES5, JH13 Pro, JH16 Pro and UE18 Pro all retailing from $950-$1,350.
  4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I know, but the thing is, it seems like the OP has the Tours (obviously) and he may find them fine, but because SOMEONE ELSE said their crap (not him, someone else), he's changing his whole mind about them. Which I find stupid.
  5. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

No the beats are actually pretty bad...
  6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Yea, but it's statements like this that make him change his mind. Forget the fact that their bad IEMs. He's not saying that they're crap. He says 'apparently, they're considered crap', so he heard someone else say that they're crap and now he doesn't want them anymore.
  7. crovian

crovian Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    once you consider high-end like ie8, then 'best' means preference if that makes sense.

IE8, Westone 3, Westone UM3X, Earsonic SM3, and Shure SE535 are considered top universal iem and you can't go wrong with them, just make sure you do research to find about their sound signature to find the one you like.

I thoroughly enjoy my ie8 with all variety of music but for some songs, I prefer the UM3X which is a bit analytical as opposed to fun sound of the ie8.

But if you like the sound of your Tours, I don't see why you should buy a top-end iem at the moment. I find monster products to be grossly overpriced for their performance but as long as you are happy with the price to performance ratio, you should be fine.

Perhaps invest in some good sounding pmp to try the tours because I was not totally satisfied with my ie8 when I used it with my ipod touch (lack of EQ really kills some songs) but with my cowon j3, sounds blissful.

BTW, guys at head-fi.org will be able to give you much more advice than here.
  8. link07

link07 Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I like my $20 marshmallow ear buds i got from shopco (or walmart can remember witch!!

Please Register or Log in to view images

)
  9. NinjaBurrito

NinjaBurrito New Member

COOL STORY BRO THANKS FOR CONTRIBUTING TO THE CONVERSATION

Anyway:

I would go with some lower-end models first before making the jump into top tier. Think of it this way:

Say you buy a $300 dollar laptop. Sure it's okay and it works but it's nothing special.

Then you go custom make a computer worth $5,000 dollars. Once you use that, you will never want to go back to a lower end model.

You are not made of money, trust me. Go with something under $100, or even better, under $50 first, then decide if you want to make the jump.
  10. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

It really depends on whether the person finds the 'jump' worth it. Like in your example with the computer, if someone just uses their computer for chatting and web browsing, it won't change much. Yes, it'll be faster, but is it worth the extra $4700? That's up to the person to decide on

But yea, I agree with your headphone.. 'strategy', if that's what you wanna call it

There's no need for someone to go straight to a pair of $400 IEMs if it's their first pair of high end audio equipment.