So I bought some new earphones and now am noticing the sound quality issues

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Hunid Racks, Dec 12, 2007.

1. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

I bought those Apple in-ear earphones, which btw are amazing for bass response, BUT, if you hook them into your laptop/computer. This is where the touch's sound quality/EQ is pissing me off. I plug in the new earphones into my laptop, put on a particular rap song (bass purposes) and with the Hip-Hop EQ and the bass is incredibley deep and vibrating. I then unplug and play the same song on my touch with the same Hip-Hop EQ and guess what, the god damn bass is like half as strong! WTF! Same EQ yet the bass is noticebly less responsive! UGH! I never noticed this on the default earphones! Damnit! The sound itself is not bad, the trebles are alot higher than that of the default earphones so you have to adjust it in your itunes if you have put it up before. But the bass response is crappy

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is this just a software thing or is this just as much bass response as the touch can give you?
  2. happycat

happycat New Member

Apple headphones are complete garbage. What you're hearing isn't "amazing bass response" it's "awful bass distortion" which also muddies up the midrange. There are many excellent in ear headphones available from other manufacturers. A cheap and excellent alternative are the JVC marshmallows.
  3. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

I'm not an audiophile but on my laptop these headphones perform so so so much better. The bass is clean and does not distort or rattle. But it's on the ipod touch that it's not so great. Which is the point I'm making it seems that with the certain kind of earphones the sound quality is definately noticeable. Becaues I didn't notice it with the default earphones that came with my ipod.
  4. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

Earphone/headphone quality and response vary greatly. You need to read reviews thoroughly. The "default" earphones that come with iPods are trash. You can't get a whole lot cheaper than them. I put $150 into my earphones because I chose ones that suited my listening preference and audio response.

Those in-ear earphones you're talking about cost $39. That's $10 more than Apple charges for their regular ones. You're far from having anything that is worth any kind of quality. Heck, there are earphones that cost $500 and give near perfect audio response. Look at CNet's review of the ones you got. They got a 5 out of 10 rating. Mine got an 8 out of 10 and they aren't remotely an audiophile earphone, they're just decent.
  5. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

If you read this article,

http://playlistmag.com/features/2004/10/frankenphones/index.php

... the guy in it says that he tried using the Shure earphone tips (that you can buy a seperate pack of for 10$) and it improved the bass and sound quality in the apple in-ear earphones by a mile. He said the biggest problem is getting the apple rubber pieces to seal properly everytime and that's why you don't get the full experience. He said the Shure ones are made of foam so they contour to your ear canal perfectly and fit on the apple earphones perfectly and allow you to hear the bass fully. So I'm thinking of investing in those. Has anyone tried this?
  6. avaloncourt

avaloncourt New Member

No, I hadn't read that. I've seen such mods before on other headphone brands. It's frequent on the Sony ones.

Yes, I have Sure earphones and the foam tips should seal up better than the regular ones on those Apple earphones. I use the silicone tips on mine but those aren't for everyone. There are three flanges that go into the ear canal. It's one of those things that either you can deal with them or you can't. A lot of people can't stand the way they feel.
  7. chopshop

chopshop New Member

I would think that the eq on the Touch isn't the same as the one in iTunes. My bet is that it has a lower maximum gain to save battery life.
  8. Hunid Racks

Hunid Racks New Member

I'm pretty convinced of that since like I said in the first post if I plug the earphones into my laptop, play a song the bass is really really deep and without taking the earphones out I just unplug and plug into the touch, play same song same EQ but the bass isn't really are hard hitting as on my laptop. So it's not even so much the problem is with the headphones but its the damn touch!
  9. fog80

fog80 New Member

i bought the ifrogz headphones for 10 bucks and they sound better than the apple headphones. I think its because they have a wider "seal" and it really does seal out the outside noise and give you better sound.
  10. chopshop

chopshop New Member

That's what I'm saying. Though, I think it might be programmed that way(i.e. the EQ on the touch has the same name but doesn't boost as much).