So how scratch-proof is the screen?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by red_5, Aug 23, 2009.

1. red_5

red_5 Member

My Invisible Shield is peeling >angryface< but I want to know what it takes to scratch the screen before I peel it off. Maybe I'll get around to getting a replacement someday...
  2. geekgrrl

geekgrrl Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    I scratched the iPod Touch 2G display by a mere scuff on a plastic zipper on my jacket pocket. It was a tiny scratch, but always there.

I decided greasy fingerprints, and no reflections, helped disguise the tiny scratch.

I also added a matte screen protector. That helped, some.

Don't scratch that display. Just don't.

I have a replacement Touch 2G, now. I will get a screen protector film on, as soon as possible. Either that, or sell it and purchase the new Touch if the new Touch has a display that is more scratch resistant.

Realistically, I think I would need more feature improvements.

Display protector film is pretty good stuff.

Maybe another brand would work better. Maybe people will suggest a different brand and how to clean up any residue, if any. I use iFilm Cleaner I purchased at the Apple Store.

Do not use a cleaner that has alcohol !!!!
  3. Axis

Axis Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    As mentioned above, certain plastics can do more damage than metal. The screen is by no means "scratch-proof" - I thought it was, until a run in with a part of my iPhone case. (luckily, it was the screen of my 1G iPod, which is on its last legs anyway, and not my iPhone)
  4. red_5

red_5 Member

Dang. Anyone have recommendations for easy DIY screen protectors that I can get at like wal-mart or somewhere?
  5. Vesper

Vesper Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    the ones that come in 1-3packs for a couple bucks are fine for minor bumps but i wouldn't keep the iPod in your pocket with your keys. But it should tide you over till you can splurge on a new heavy duty protector.
  6. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
  7. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYuTAtG68eI

^THAT's how scratch-proof it is.

Personally I dropped it hard about 7-8 times, face down, on my living room tiles and each time from a height of about 15-50 cm. Unintentionally, of course. I mean, duh... It "only" costs $350.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Result ? Only one small scratch right in the middle of the screen which is pretty annoying. It's only visible from time to time and only when I look at it from up close. And no sh*t... InvisibleShield is peeling off, huh ? Glad I didn't get one. I didn't get anything actually. And it's in pretty minty condition (except for the back).
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I've dropped my 1st gen iPod touch (now traded for a 1st gen iPhone) a few times, and the only damage did not come to the screen. Instead, the border around the outside of the ipod got a little dent in it, and barely noticeable.
  9. red_5

red_5 Member

The InvisibleShield worked great until I also got a case that rubbed a lot around the button... that's where it's peeling, that little narrow strip at the bottom. Aside from that it's still on just fine.
  10. zDSpider

zDSpider Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    You got The Shield <insert thunder here> AND a case ?? ... :| You know what ? It's your money down the drain.