Snail Mail

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Reviews' started by wearmaize, May 29, 2009.

1. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Someone once may have told you that snails were slow. That person is wrong.
    Sandlot Games, with the release of the application “Snail Mail,” is out to prove to the world that snails are faster and stronger than even Crash the fox from Crash Bandicoot. You, as the player, must guide Turbo the Snail across the intergalactic highway as he delivers packages of mail around the galaxy.

Gameplay: Snail Mail uses the iPhone’s accelerometer just like most of the other popular racing applications that have been released for the platform. Tilting your device to the left will send Turbo left, and tilting to the right will move Turbo to the right. As Turbo, your objective is to collect as many mail packages as possible in the level while meanwhile avoiding blocks of salt, turrets, asteroids, and other spiked creatures, and maneuvering through increasingly difficult levels. Turbo initially has a basic weapons system that fires small bullets that can destroy asteroids when you tap the screen, but flying through floating rings upgrades his weapons.
    At first, the game is quite easy. Soon, though, Turbo won’t be moving at a snail’s pace. Have you ever traveled at 70 gigamiles per hour? A couple of levels into the game, you will already have to help Turbo jump over gaps in the intergalactic highway, fly using a jetpack, and loop-de-loop. Who built those highways, anyway?

The Good: Snail Mail comes with 50 levels of a “Postal Adventure” mode. It also has a time trial mode where you have to finish the levels as fast as possible and a challenge mode. Using the challenge mode allows you to adjust the difficulty and speed of a random level that is created. Upon completing the level, you can watch a replay of your accomplishments or failures. (NASCAR play by play is not included.) You cannot, however, select your own track to use in challenge mode, nor can you watch a replay of a race done in Postal Adventure or Time Trial.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Avoid the salt and stay on the track

Also avoid the purple things until you get the right powerup!

Bugs/Complaints: Only one minor update has been issued since Snail Mail was released. Or at least that is all I’ve received, seeing as updates can take weeks to hit the App Store. Currently, Snail Mail only has one small bug that I have noticed. Sometimes, Turbo will fall through solid sections of the highway. This is annoying, but it does not happen often. Snail Mail is not a game built so that you can race against a friend; it is very much a one-person game, so the lack of the ability to play against someone over a network does not take away from the game’s entertainment. Nevertheless, if you have tendencies to react violently to frustration, this game is not for you. Levels become increasingly annoying when you fail to complete them over and over (and over and over and over). On a final note, this game is not very easy to play while in a moving vehicle. The controls are sensitive and the bumps on the road can send Turbo into oblivion. To its credit, Sandlot Games has built in a method of controlling Turbo by tapping the screen. Good luck trying to actually play like that, since Turbo jumps to where your finger touches the screen, making shooting impossible and maneuvering through curves unfeasible.

Summary: Overall, Snail Mail is a very solid application. The decent graphics and the new challenges that present themselves in every level make buying Snail Mail an easy decision. Snail Mail has great replay value with 50 entire levels and is a great game to play when you’re bored. I would recommend this game to fans of Crash Bandicoot and Super Monkey Ball.

Price: $2.99 (A light version is available with the first few levels. The light version is free)
    Size: 21 MB

Attached Files:

2. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    screenies would ahve made it better

overall, you do explain the truth... (ive got this game)

nice review

good luck
  3. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Excellent content! Layout needs some work and, as SumDaii said above, some uploaded screengrabs would be nice too

4. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Incredibly enough, I don't know how to make screenshots appear with the text, only after the post as an "attached thumbnail." Maybe someone can fill me in?
  5. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Copy the image location of a picture. For example... I used your attached screenshot:

Then, put

after it.

^ Like this, without spaces.
  6. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    and then stick [.CENTER][/.CENTER] around it to center it (without the periods before each CENTER of course)
  7. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Thanks to both moderators. I added some screenshots.

8. SumDaii

SumDaii Active Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    much more clearer now

9. jamil_d

jamil_d Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Looks good, looks like "Rainbow Road" from Mario Kart a slight bit.
  10. studangerous

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Much improved w/ the screenshots. Now just reformat the text to space it out for easier readability

. I'm off to buy this one too...! grr look what you've gone and done! I'll be broke soon!