SMS App With It's Own Number?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by PatentPending, Aug 15, 2009.

1. PatentPending

PatentPending New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I'm already a pretty happy customer of TextFree Unlimited for months, but I couldn't help but wonder, is there an SMS app I can use for my iPod Touch that will at least let me have a real number that I can use?

Or is it always gonna be just some email address? And what about an app that has both SMS and MMS?

There are just so many apps out there dedicated to SMS and MMS and VoIP, I'm just trying to be safe and get one that I know would be worth the money, based on the experience you guys may share. Thanks in advance!

Oh and P.S. It would be great if it was one that was compatible with most U.S carriers like Verizon, Sprint, AT&T, etc.
  2. xephyr

xephyr Member

Google Voice. ^_^ Except it's on cydia, not the appstore, and its in beta, so you need to sign up for a number.

It makes it so you can choose a local number and such to use to text and it works amazingly.
  3. PatentPending

PatentPending New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Sounds like it's exactly what I was looking for! I'll check it out right now and thanks! :]
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Sorry for the double-post, but I had to ask you, do you use this App? Because if so, I just wanna know how long I'll have to wait until I get my Invitation Letter. Hopefully in a month or two MAX...
  4. jnskyliner34

jnskyliner34 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    check out Global AQ SMS, only prob is you can't receive SMS at the moment. developers are working on an update for that.
  5. Ari.

Ari. Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Google Voice is limited and doesn't work everywhere yet.

I applied for invite and i got it i think 3 weeks or so after, not 100% sure.
  6. xephyr

xephyr Member

I applied for GV and got an invite one week afterwards, soon after a friend of mine applied and got it one day later.
  7. Sophia

Sophia New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Google Voice is no option for me, I got rejected (not living in USA). Nothing else is there? I have no cell phone and no iPhone, only my iPod... and I would really like to receive SMS messages too.