SMB Graphics - They Lied...

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by Tony1uk, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Tony1uk

Tony1uk New Member

While I enjoy playing Super Monkey Ball, those graphics are nowhere near as good as they showed when they were wowing the public last year at what they could do in two weeks. They were going on about how they underestimated the graphics processing of the iphone etc. If you look at what they had on display on the overhead you will see that the game that came out is substantially less complex in terms of graphics.

Look at the detail of the shine on the water, look at the detail on the trees. As the camera spins round all of these are updated in terms of sheen and shadows. On the release game they have cheated by reducing the detail and defocusing the background planes to negate the need for detail.

I do 3d and maybe its me but my eyes are drawn to all the differences between the hype of the detail and the reality of its lack. I just wish those press conferences were a little bit more honest. Looks like Sega and Apple struck a deal to be ecomonic with the truth.

No way did their designers have such a hard time!
  2. owie007

owie007 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I do agree with you... the graphics are a bit LOW QUALITY compared to the one they showed on that keynote. I am a bit disappointed with that....
  3. thechungster

thechungster Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    ugh, u mean it? coz i was about to buy it though.
  4. malibusurfer93

malibusurfer93 Banned

look at my review guys!! its got picturees. the only graphic flaw i see is the monkey being 2d
  5. axe5666

axe5666 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I agree with you on that but the graphics do still kick ass for ANY handheld...
  6. Blink

Blink New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I was dissapointed when I saw how crappy the monkey's look. I can't really bash the game because it's pretty fun and the graphics are beyond what most MP3 Players/Phones could handle, but they are a little lower quality than expected.
  7. Canuck

Canuck New Member

I guarantee you that games releasing in a few months from now (ie. Spore) will look much better then SMB and other games do now. Give the devs more then a couple months to maximize the use oof the iPhone/Touch's capabilities and you'll start to games as pretty or prettier then SMB was when it was first demonstrated. The fact that a launch game looks that good to begin with is impressive.

That doesn't mean all apps will start to look better; just the ones that devs actually put effort into. And if the App Store proves successful, then that should happen within the next few months.
  8. kolko

kolko New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    Yeah, I really hope Spore will look better than this, I'm willing to wait a couple of months for Spore if it really is good.

(Even more because my PC can't handle the PC version -.-)
  9. travis134

travis134 New Member

10. Winterboard

Winterboard Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    dont complain guys. I see no real difference and it wont alter the gameplay.

The makers just found i flaw and fixed it by boosting the performance