Slow server?

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by blackjak231, Jul 11, 2008.

1. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Hey!

I have been part of the forum since almost the beginning, and in the past 2 months, i noticed that the forum became very slow to load a page.

If its a normal page like this one: http://www.ifans.com/forums/
    but once i open a thread and i change page or post something, it takes forever to load!!
    Is this because there is too many people or because of the server? And its not my connection because i tried to go on the website from a computer that had a crazy speed, and it was still slow!

Did anyone have such problem too?
  2. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    yeah, it was slow because there were in excess of 2000 people accessing the site at the same time. and we are not like other sites, that set the "window of activity" to an hour or more so that it looks like there are 6000 or 7000 people online when in fact there aren't.

our window is 15 minutes. to give an idea of the type of traffic we were getting, it reached 20-30 dynamic requests per SECOND. this does not include traffic to all of our static files, which was much higher but was being served off of a cache that i set up.

given the circumstances, i am actually very happy how ipod touch fans ran for most of yesterday.
  3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I've only had problem with the "New Posts" button. Everything else went fine.
  4. blackjak231

blackjak231 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (White)
    Ok, thanks for clearing that up! the speed is pretty good right now! And WOW

Please Register or Log in to view images

20-30 dynamic request a second is incredible!!!!!! im happy to hear that there are so many people using the forum!

Thanks again for clearing that up!