Slow PC (Windows XP) - Help!?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by MJeto7, Dec 9, 2008.

1. MJeto7

MJeto7 Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    Allrighty.

I'm using my parents laptop all the time. I have a good bit of programs and crap, but it's taking a while for it to start up, log in, and open up Firefox.

This same exact thing happened to our last computer, and we ended up giving it to this shop. They wiped it clean and put windows XP back on it. It was speedy again

Please Register or Log in to view images

But idk what's slowing this laptop down. I have antivirus installed - Spy Sweeper. I scan it reguarly, and not much of an improvement even though it finds about 20 cookies.
    And I also recently installed PC Tools Spyware Doctor, and i think that works better than Spy Sweeper.

Thats it... Is that not enough? Do i need more "Protection Programs"?
    Is it a problem that the hard drive is 80% full of my songs?

If, and only if you have Windows:Please tell me what you use to keep your computer running "speedy". Please also give me some tips of how to get mine back to normal. Thanks

Oh, I have heard of this program "Error Smart".
    Is it just bs, or does it actually work? Thanks

2. beebop

beebop New Member

I have TuneUp utilities 2008 which is great for this kind'a job.

Your computer start-up is executed by the registery... google a registery clean-up program for start-up

for speed once booted up.. you can defragment your hard disk.

imagine it as a needle in a hay stack... if the hay is everywhere, the needle will take hours to find.... if they're separate... about 3 seconds...

This is the same for your computer... you click start.. it has to find the command for what happens when you click start...

Google how to do a disk defragment in Xp (sorts out all the files, will take a couple hours)
  3. specialsyco

specialsyco New Member

you dont need all those antivirus programs because they run all the time and take up your memory. i recommend using only one. i use the free version of avg (free.avg.com) and it works great. you should go into control panel>add remove programs and delete what you dont use.

and you should do a disk clean up on you hard drive (right click on your hard drive>properties>disk cleanup.)

hope this helps
  4. SeeFreaky

SeeFreaky New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    The two anti-spyware programs eat up memory.

I suggest getting NOD32, it doesn't eat up much memory at all, and it updates in the background. However, you may have to pay for it.