Slightly dark spot on edge of iPod touch screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by trenzterra, Apr 1, 2010.

1. trenzterra

trenzterra New Member

I notice that on my iPod touch, at the top right edge there's this tiny spot whereby the backlight seems somewhat darker than the rest. I realised this when reading an eBook on my iPod. In dark backgrounds, strangely this area appears as backlight bleeding.

I particularly notice this only when the backlight is low. When I turn it on max it isn't noticeable at all.

Is this a problem I should be concerned about? Does anyone's iPod have the same problem?

Many thanks!
  2. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    did u drop it?
  3. k3v1n

k3v1n New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It would be a dead pixle my friend. There is an app on cydia to fix them if you would like to try it. I forgot the name though.
  4. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I know what your talking about, old LCDs look like that, like the screen is flexed or uneven, sounds like a defective LCD
  5. trenzterra

trenzterra New Member

It is not a dead pixel, neither did I drop it. I remember when I first got it a month back I had this problem, but I wasn't obsessed with it until recently.

Basically, it's a tiny little area where the backlight seems to be dimmer than the rest, and appears somewhat like a smudge when off-angle...
  6. cbren

cbren Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Is your iPod jailbroken? If so, try restoring. If it still shows up or it isn't jailbroken, contact Apple right away.
  7. trenzterra

trenzterra New Member

It is not jailbroken. I'm hesitating whether to take it to Apple or not though, as this would most certainly mean I would be getting a refurbed iPod back and then I have a morbid fear of getting back one with dead pixels...

But though this could solve some of my other problems too, my hold button seems a little sunken in and the edges of my iPod experiences some backlight leakage.

Oh man, tough choice

Please Register or Log in to view images

8. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Apple has told me that there is a 50/50 chance you will get a new one when you send one in for repair/replacement, that LCD will only get worse, so get it done while under warranty!
  9. trenzterra

trenzterra New Member

Ok I just sent it in for servicing. I'm not sure whether they'll get it changed though as I had to go to two service centres before they accepted it. The first one claimed that they couldn't see the problem. I tried to bring out my other problems as well (with the hold button especially) but they told me that the hold button wasn't covered by warranty wtf!

Thankfully the second service centre offered to escalate the issue up to Apple. I'm hoping I get a new set in the coming week... one with no bright/dead pixels as well!

Well if they refuse to change my unit what could I do?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    By the way what is the chance of getting an iPod with a dead/bright pixel? Are they now a rarity in its third generation? Heh, I hope I don't get one back with a bunch of dead pixels

Please Register or Log in to view images

10. nelson480

nelson480 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    if u do then just call apple and have them exchange another one for you