Sleep button broken, ipod locked..How to Restore?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by DXtouch, Nov 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DXtouch

DXtouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My kids ipod touch sleep/power button has recently stopped working. This wasn't a big deal because he just used the home button. He thought it would be a good idea and passcode it and now he cant unlock it. Its gone to the red"connect to itunes screen". I have since bought a new mac and cant re-sync it to remove the passcode. He keeps it in his bookbag and charges it on a wall charger. So other than initially dumping all the music n movies from my old computer I haven't seen it.

How do I restore this without the sleep button? I've tried using ziphone on my wife's laptop(vista) but it says there is a connection problem. I assume its from the locked ipod. Itunes does see it on either machine but wont connect due to the password.

I've also tried running the no button DFU script on the vista laptop but it says Iphone cannot be paired.

If I let it drain can I hold the home button and then plug it into itunes?

Warranty is up, so that isn't an option. I'm so frustrated with this thing I just want to toss it and make him carry my old cassette walkman to teach him a lesson.

I'm out of ideas...any help greatly appreciated.
  2. iBiite iChu

iBiite iChu Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
  3. DXtouch

DXtouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    The ipod is not jailbroken. He says he didnt do anything to it. I tried d/l anyway and the program wont see the ipod. It sees my iphone so I know it works.
  4. iOwnxD

iOwnxD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    you don't need the sleep button to restore, connect to itunes and press restore.
  5. DXtouch

DXtouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    My son PASSCODED/LOCKED it. I dont own the computer I used to setup the ipod anymore.
  6. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Shoulda backed up the data

You have to restore
  7. iOwnxD

iOwnxD New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    then put it into restore mode first then connect to itunes.. let your battery drain hold home button and plug it in and keep holding home button till the sync to itunes appears and itunes should recognize that it's in restore mode and have you restore.
  8. Fishy

Fishy Member

Device:
    iPad
    Yikes, any idea what is wrong with the home button? And any idea where your nearest apple store is?
  9. DXtouch

DXtouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Most of the data can be restored. It's just going to be a pain.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    The home button is fine, it's the sleep/ power button that's non responsive. It still clicks just doesn't do anything.
  10. DXtouch

DXtouch New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Update;

I plugged in my iphone headphones with button/mic and turned on the ipod. I turned them up as high as it would go and let it play all night until the battery drained. I then held the home button and restored it. Everything worked fine. My only gripe is the lock button is still busted...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.