Skype on Touch WORKS!

Discussion in 'iPod touch VoIP and Telephony' started by suedehead, Jan 17, 2008.

1. suedehead

suedehead New Member

I'm blown away...

I received my first Skype incoming call on my iTouch.

I just happened to be logged in to Skye IM+for iPhone on my Touch, and someone called from a landline phone number.

I got a panel of three choice buttons: accept, decline, and hold, just like on my computer.

I had no way to listen to the call (no headphones on hand) or talk to the person, so I accepted the call through my computer instead (I was home at the time).

While I was talking through my computer, the three choice buttons remained on the screen on my Touch. After I hung up on the computer, i hit "accept' on my Touch. The next message was "connecting". Obviously it couldn't connect because i had already hung up the call.

I was so stunned, I didn't know what to do next. Now I'm going to plug in the headphones, have someone call me and and see if I can connect to the call and hear what they say.

If it works, all I have to do is get a TouchMod voice-in microphone and talk away!

NOTE: I have the 1.1.3 upgrade and Skype Pro. When I logged into Skype, I noticed many more choices on the menu than prior to the .3 upgrade. It seems like we get all the same calling features as iPhone.

That's worth the $20 bucks.
  2. mynameisBEEKMAN

mynameisBEEKMAN Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    thats all great, but 1.1.3 has NOTHING to do with how skype IM works......... unless apple called up skype and told them that they need to attend to all the thouch hackers.......think about that long and hard.....
  3. transam7816

transam7816 New Member

i guess it's time to sign up for skype =)
  4. grizzjr1

grizzjr1 Member

I'll tell you what, as soon as you give us a video, we will (or at least I will) believe you. Maybe... In the meantime *cough* Liar *cough*

Please Register or Log in to view images

Some people...

Please Register or Log in to view images

5. suedehead

suedehead New Member

More calls

I have rceived two more phone calls. These were business calls, so I was more concerned with connecting than experimenting with SKYPE. I answered via computer. But tonight, i'm going to get a call from my bro (EST) and I'll see how far this goes.

It's arguable that it has nothing to do with 1.1.3 BUT it's also true that SKYPE released its latest upgrade to IM+4iPhone on 1/14/08, perhaps in anticipation of 1.1.3? One of the new features is group SMS, just like the Apple upgrade.
  6. transam7816

transam7816 New Member

some details on skype site
    when i go to the site on my ipod it says, if you are using IM+ for skype on ipod touch, you are suggested to enter a valid mobile or landline phone number you have nearby. this will enable you to make and receive calls. calls will be redirected to the phone number you have specified. you will receive a callback (an incoming call). meanwhile you need to have skypeout credits on your skype on account to make and receive calls.
  7. mombopete

mombopete Member

I use Skype at home and have an account. I signed in on my Touch and made a call. I couldn't hear anything. I really didn't even know the call went through. And yes, I had the headphones on. I check the voicemail on my cell phone this morning and there were 2 messages. I wish that Skype would work with SIP-VoIP. I really like their user interface.
  8. suedehead

suedehead New Member

Failed Attempt

A call came in this morning while I was logged in on my Touch. I accepted the call on my Touch. It bounced to my home phone number as it is supposed to. I could not hear anything through my headphones.

So I guess it doesn't work--there are too many pieces missing. Software is lacking to enable you to hear it through the Touch, although capability is there.

What I wish for, more than receiving calls directly on the Touch, is to get email notifications that someone has called me, and to be able to hear the voicemail as an attachment to the email. This is already possible for Windows users via Pamela. There's no reason it shouldn't be available for us, but for the software.

I already sent a request to Pamela developers. They said they don't know if they will write for the Mac platform, but "anything's possible."
  9. Shadow Man 11

Shadow Man 11 New Member

so does this work????
  10. mombopete

mombopete Member

this is not for talking on the touch. I just conducted a test. I put my home number in the callback number spot and called my mobile phone. My home phone rang first and then my cell rang when I picked up the home phone I heard the cell phone ringing and left a voicemail. This is cool if you want to make a Skype Out call from a landline. Kind of cool.