Skype, microphone, and speaker override

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by scylla2, Jan 20, 2010.

1. scylla2

scylla2 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I purchased one of those small "button microphones" for my iPod Touch 2g, thinking I could use it (among other things) for making Skype calls. I realized that inserting the mic would disable the iPod's internal speaker, but I'd read that the Skype app allows you to override this through some kind of "speakerphone" function.

Well I have the mic and the Skype app, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on this "speakerphone" mode to allow the internal speaker to function while the mic is inserted.

Can anyone explain exactly how to configure the Skype app to let me do this???

Thanks.
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Well, no responses from other users out there. Good thing I figured out a solution on my own.

For anyone else wondering the same thing I was, there is no way to set this up through the Skype settings. BUT, if you have a mic inserted in the iPod (a mic without attached headphones, that is) and make a Skype call a pop-up will ask you if you want to activate the speakerphone function. If you have the regular headphone/mic inserted you won't get this pop-up.

Once the speakerphone is activated both the internal speaker and the mic will function, making this just like an iPhone (that you hold to head like a real cell phone) that only works on wifi.
  2. stevie89

stevie89 New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Dude, it works! Well, i order a Mic from Think Geek, too find out, stuck in Microphone mode, was really p'd off, then gave this a shot, tried with Mic/Headephones, and Mic with speaker, works great. Thanks!
  3. robandjeanne

robandjeanne New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Speaker Override on Incoming Calls?

On outgoing calls just having the pushpin mic plugged in prompted the sw to ask if you wanted to turn the speaker on. So for outgoing calls on Skype the ipod functions like a real phone. However if you leave the mic plugged in, the ipod doesn't ring. Is there anyway to keep the ipod in speakerphone mode so you hear incoming rings?