skype free calls?

Discussion in 'iTunes App Store Games & Apps' started by UMDRunner, Jul 20, 2009.

1. UMDRunner

UMDRunner Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    On the skype download page they say that fees may apply for calls.... How could I be charged if I use my ipod touch? Or are the calls just really expensive for the people I call?
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    ?????????
    ------------------double post merged------------------
    Is this a taboo topic? Why no responses?
  2. smokskrene

smokskrene New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    in general, to set up a skype account you need to put 10 bucks via paypal or credit card into your account. It only charges you if you call land lines. Ive only had to recharge my account a few times in 2.5 years. I call Spain from the States a lot so its a good deal.
  3. UMDRunner

UMDRunner Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    well I have not added any money and calls have worked... will they eventually just cut me off, or can I be sued for money?
  4. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Sorry for bumping this, but I was just reading and didn't really want this to sink without an answer... (Meh, it is only 20 minutes 'old')

No, you will not be charged or sued for money if you are making Skype to Skype calls.
    This means you can call a computer with Skype with your iPod (with Skype) and not be charged. You won't be cut off from their service, either.

It's a different story if you're calling landlines.. I've never tried?
    I think they just won't let you call. You have to buy credits or minutes.
  5. UMDRunner

UMDRunner Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    It's weird because I called my GF's cellphone and it worked, I have put no money into anything yet. Do they know my credit card through itunes?
  6. Spartigus

Spartigus New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You get some free-time by making an account, so when the time/money runs out, you wont be able to make calls to land lines or mobiles. The only way you can use skype for free is to call other people on skype. I use skype (computer to computer) for University for free conference calls when we do group work and we also use skype to call overseas as it is very cheap compared to normal rates.

So to sum up, you get some free time to call mobiles and land lines, but after that you need to pay with a credit card/pay pal/other means. And its free if you call skype-skype.
  7. Microsoft™

Microsoft™ Banned

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    You get 1 free landline call. The next times you want to call a landline, it needs money.
  8. wearmaize

wearmaize Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I recommend you make an account at voipcheap.com by going to the Mac/Linux users click here and then use it with Nimbuzz. The account gets you an hour of free calls to landlines or cell phones

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. AndrewMcMorrow

AndrewMcMorrow New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    to get free 5 minute calls dial up: +18003733411
    listen to the advert then say into the mic "free call" after the option comes up, then select dialpad and type in the number you want to ring, it is only a 5 minute call but you can do it as many times as you want, but sometimes the lines are busy, i'm trying to find away to just ring people for free without having to ring up +18003733411 , anyone have any ideas?
  10. Tkf1

Tkf1 Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    iPad mini
    Yes, pay it.