Sky Mobile TV app problems

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iclueless, Dec 16, 2009.

1. iclueless

iclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Hello

I wonder if anyone can help on this?

I have downloaded the application "sky mobile tv news and sport" on my iphone 3g. this allows you to watch sky sports using a wifi connection and subscription fee.

My bro has the same model iphone but his is on the O2 network whereas mine is on Orange network.

The application works fine for him using our home wifi network. Mine doesn't. When I try to connect it states the following:

Temporary network problem - please check your network coverage or try again later"

This happens no matter what time of the day. I have tried several things. I have restarted the iphone. I have reinstalled the sky application. I have restarted my wifi connection. I have disconnected and reconnected the wifi option on my iphone.

The wifi is definitely connected to my iPhone as I use it for my Spotify application to download songs for offline.

I called Orange and they said I needed to manually set up my data carrier settings by restoring my iphone and changing the APN to 'orangeinternet'. I did this and tried restarting and reinstalling the software, etc. But it still does not work..

It just doesn't make sense why it will work on my brother's iphone but not mine! I cannot understand it because we both use the same wifi connection which you need to watch the sky mobile application.

Has anyone else come across this? I tried some google searching but have not found a solution yet.

edit - I called sky and they were unable to locate why it is not working - they said they are investigating it and will get back to me.

Any useful advice or experience of this would be gratefully appreciated. I guess it's unlikely anyone else has experienced this yet as the application is pretty new (plus this may not be the best place to ask!).

Anyway, thanks for reading!
  2. iclueless

iclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    In case anyone wanted to know...

I had an update from Sky today. They are saying it's not their application and that I should get my phone checked. I've cancelled the subscription, all other applications using my wi-fi are working. It's a shame, would have been good to watch sky sports on my phone.
  3. RoYaLx

RoYaLx Member

Device:
    HTC One
    Try reinstalling it through iTunes on your PC or iMac.
  4. iclueless

iclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Thanks for the reply. I just tried this and still the same problem.
  5. iclueless

iclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Just read that this app is now available via 3G as well as wi-fi. Although it was only updated yesterday. Am tempted to give it a go again. Anyone else tried it over 3G yet?
  6. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    The app is made by BSkyB which is Sky, so they're lying saying it isn't their app.
  7. joejacobs

joejacobs New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I was having the exact same issue with the mobile tv app on my iphone 3gs. I did some digging and found out that the app goes haywire if you use a password that contains symbols. instead of connecting to https://mobile-tv.sky.com:443 it connects to https://your-username:443 resulting in a temporary network error. all I had to do was remove the symbols from my password and it worked fine after that. You'd think a big company like sky would get something as simple as validating passwords right but obviously not!
  8. iclueless

iclueless New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    Joejacobs - Your digging was far better than mine and thanks very much for the reply. I will defo resubscribe and make sure my password is symbol free. Nice one!

Update - it worked! Brilliant. Thanks again.