Site Suggestions from a newcomer

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by TooGoodAtCOD4, Aug 26, 2009.

1. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    First off, this site is by FAR has the most extensive amount of information available to these products - thanks! It's unbelievable... the problem however and thus leading to my humble suggestion is that I am a newb when it comes to the iPot.

I took the advice of the website after joining, it gave me several links to many many many threads and I have been reading and reading and reading. Well, I keep running into stickies and tutorials that are outdated and useless. This just confuses me more! I was wondering if there was a more updated version of the "guides" thread?? And if not, I know it's painful and tedious, but it reeeeeeeeeally needs to be gone through and deleted all the old info to not confuse ppl like me more. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not technologically challenged, i've built many computers and have a BS in Economics, but damn... with all this info I'm have trouble figuring out what the hell a Repo is and how exactly to install Cydia after I update my iPot 2G to 3.0 Firmware! Much less even think about trying to install all these badass programs that I keep reading about that you have access to after installing Cydia.

I need a moron's guide to these things... or atleast one that wasn't created before the 2G came out, or says things like "the 2G can't be jailbroken!!" or "DL the program Installer first" when, as I'm told it doesn't exist any more.

I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes, just a contributor that would like to learn as much as possible so I can start helping other newbs! haha Thanks for any suggestions for guide threads that are current.

TooGoodAtCOD4
  2. kalpa11

kalpa11 Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    well can you explain some of the problems you are having rather than already being confused by the threads so i can find you some good posts. Or what you are trying to learn
  3. mitchell209

mitchell209 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Just search for your problems here or on Google, and if you don't find a solution, which is very unlikely, then make a new thread asking for help and others will try to help.
  4. Appman

Appman Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    The way u abbreviate is funny:iPot?and a BS in economics
    Anyway if u what any help or if u find so
    e info hereto be useless to u just tell us your problem and we will answer.
  5. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch

Yes... iPot - basic, for iPod touch...?? thought that was understood since its on several of the stickies ive read. and I'm assuming you've never heard of a Bachelor's of Science degree in Economics. Are you being serious?? I mean really?

I'm trying to be polite about saying that there is antiquated information here that the site directed me to after joining and on over 10+ stickies ive read is about sh*t that doesn't even exist anymore. I'm not trying to be like the stereotypical new ASSHOLE that joins a forum and doesn't read jacksh*t about the stickies or other posts that people have made or doesn't know how to use the search button. I've clicked that damn thing 20+ times so far today! But if you must insist... here are some questions that I don't understand the answers to:

Questions:
    1. What is a Repo?
    2. How is a Repo used?
    3. Why would someone want to downgrade firmware versions if they are having no problems at the time?
    4. Is there or is there not a flash player for the IPOT (a.k.a. iPod Touch for those of you who don't understand) because I've seen threads that confirm both?
    5. What EXACTLY do you need to SSH your iPod for if you have a USB cord to connect it?
    6. Why do some stickies recommend immediately getting summerboard after jailbreaking and others say get winterboard immediately? (Obviously I've figured out Winterboard is the newer version)
    7. Tethering... What is the difference in tethering, half-tethering, and non-tethering jailbreaks?? Which one is best for me? IPOT 2G w/ 3.0 firmware
    8. How about this thread: Entitled "Everything" having some 3.0 firmware links, hell at least 2.0 for that matter, in the thread and not talk about "Installer" at length if no one uses it anymore, and not talking at ALL about winterboard and just summerboard. The only reason I found this thread in the first place was b/c of being pointed directly to it from when I JOINED!!
    9. Wtf is a pwnage tool or pwnage, and why would you do that vs. jailbreaking, or something idk, that's what people were comparing it to...???
    10. Upon jailbreaking my iPot, what is the situation with downloading other apps from AppStore through iTunes.. meaning will I run into any problems?

Again, I'm not at all trying to be an ass by writing this.. I stated in my post above that I didn't know wtf I was doing so any help would be great and that the site might need some spring cleaning, after all this is what section I'm in, the "Forum Feedback/Suggestions" section. Thanks for any help anyone can provide to me in my search for new information and I will save my questions for the intended forum sub-section from now on.

TooGoodAtCOD4
  6. bgizzle

bgizzle Administrator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    These are all good criticisms, and the volunteer moderator team is working constantly to keep the stickies etc. up to date. Just disregard the earlier replies from members that seem not to have a long enough attention span to read and process your well-thought out criticism.
  7. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. Repository
    2. It hosts apps... like ispazio, modmyi
    3. You wouldn't unless you are having problems (ie. wifi) or a dev. still supporting an old firmware
    4. No... ipt>ipot
    5. You would normally use wifi... download openssh from cydia and winscp for your computer, just click on the "SSH" link in my signature
    6. Use winterboard, summerboard is not around
    7. Redsn0w, its untethered
    8. Uhh... maybe you should ask him to edit it

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Method of jailbreaking, use redsn0w for ipod touch
    10. No
  8. TooGoodAtCOD4

TooGoodAtCOD4 New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    I appreciate it man - like I said, I'm not even trying to point fingers and say what sucks blah blah blah... I was trying to give constructive criticism from a new member. And I believe this is an attempt to be cute:

If not, then ....

1. I believe using the search button like I said I did earlier, I have already come to that conclusion. Aaaaaaaand what is a repository exactly?? You're answer doesn't help.
    2. What do you mean hosts apps? Don't understand what you're talking about.
    4. Really... hmm... Post #4 from the thread Entitled "The iPod Touch Reference"
    Maybe you should message Kiks52 and tell him he's wrong.

7. Aaaaaaand what does tethering do/mean/used for again???
    8. I'm not a jackass.
    3,5,6,9,10. Ok, thanks.

TooGoodAtCOD4
  9. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    Answering a question from TooGoodAtCOD4:

7. Tethering basically means using your phone's internet connection on your computer.
    An example would be using the iPhone's data plan to get internet on a laptop.
  10. iptman

iptman Active Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_repository << kinda like the first part of that
    2. Say I made a theme, I could get it hosted on modmyi so it could be downloaded off cydia
    4. I prefer ipt (look at my username), I wasn't trying to say ipot is wrong
    7. Tethered means you have to connect the phone to iTunes in order to boot it into a jailbroken state... if you turn your ipod off while tethered, the jailbreak will come off