iPod touch 5G [Siri] Dictation Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Zyiros, Oct 19, 2012.

1. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I am now using my [Siri] dictation feature for taking notes. I saved myself an hour and a half yesterday taking notes and then emailing them to my laptop :D

So question: why does [Siri] dictation need an internet connection to work?? Does the iPad need an internet connection for it to work or can the iPad do it without the connection?
  2. ValleyForge

ValleyForge Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Lol, why the brackets now? Go to Settings > General > Keyboard and add an autocorrection from "Siri" to "Siri". This way it won't mess it up.
    Anyways, the files Siri uses for dictation are apparently just too much to be on-device. And Apple probably occasionally refines their accuracy and such. I believe the iPad is the same way.
  3. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    Dang. Oh well. That is too bad. :p

I just put it in [] because I got it to say Siri, but some have a problem with calling it Siri Dictation because it isn't technically Siri Dictation. Thus it is like me saying it is (Siri) Dictation. Without the () it would just be Dictation, but the () provide a further explanation :p
  4. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

It needs internet because what it does it record your voice, send it Apples servers, assigns words to the sound of the voice, and send it back to your device. All within seconds.
    ale624 likes this.
  5. ale624

ale624 Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    correct. your device sends live raw audio to apples servers as you speak it and they decode it and translate that into charitors!

siri dictation is also in mountain lion.
  6. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    I would rather have it on the device. Like...make it a premium thing for the 32GB and 64GB models.
  7. Badd_Blood

Badd_Blood Well-Known Member

That just.. would not work. Completely impractical
  8. rrroach

rrroach Well-Known Member

It's definitely possible to have it done without a server. My guess is that it's a matter of Apple not wanting people to have access to the methods Siri uses to analyze voice.

Edit: It's possible to translate the voice to text without a server. Obviously you wouldn't be able to use the functions like finding movie times or searching for things without a data connection.
  9. ale624

ale624 Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    if you turn off Siri, you get the old voice recognition. that works rather well... so why's it impractical?

thats true also, but you can potentially Mod siri so it uses the onboard speech recognition instead of apples servers. i think it MAY have been done at some point in the past.
  10. Zyiros

Zyiros Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    All I would want is the dictation to be offline use. I don't really care about Siri because it makes sense to have a connection to use Siri.