Simply Put, I'm a Noob to Apple

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Goats go to Hell, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Goats go to Hell

Goats go to Hell New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Hello.

I don't currently own an ipod touch, in fact I've never even owned an ipod. I have always gone with other brands when it comes to MP3 players, but the ipod touch is calling for me. The thing is I don't know as much about it as I would like.

I'm not one of those clueless technology illiterate fools like countless ipod owners are. I just never really saw myself going with Apple so I haven't paid much attention to the touch until now. I used to have a PSP which I downgraded, installed homebrew and roms, modded, you name it; so I do have experience doing what I wish to do with it I just need to be steered in the right direction. I already looked through this forum some before signing up and I got some helpful information from threads like these, but I still need more help. If there are any other important threads to read (other than obviously the stickied ones) I'll take a look at them if someone could point them out to me.

Some questions I need answered before I get started:
    1. As previously stated I do not have an ipod touch yet. The question is which generation should I get. I have heard from various sources that each one is better and I'm not sure who to believe.

2. Jailbreak seems to be the necessary software for what I want. Kind of goes along with question 1, but can you use it on both versions?

3. What are the major advantages to this Jailbreak program and/or what are your favorite things to do with it.

4. I had that gPSP GBA emulator on my PSP and still have the ROMs. I can use those same ROMs on the ipod touch right?

5. I could fit 2 or 3 full length movies on a 512MB card with my PSP after I used a converter, how does that compare to ipod?

6. Any other important information you think I should know

I'm sure I'll get more questions later, but that'll get me started.

Answer one question, answer the whole post. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
  2. DotSlashSlash

DotSlashSlash Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (White)
    you cannot jailbreak the 2nd generation ipod touch at the moment

5. It depends on how good quality you want the movies
  3. hakk79

hakk79 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    1. As previously stated I do not have an ipod touch yet. The question is which generation should I get. I have heard from various sources that each one is better and I'm not sure who to believe.

The perks of the first generation iPod touch is that right now it is hackable. The second generation iPod touch is not, but the second generation iPod touch has external speakers, volume controls (similar to the iPhone 3G) and lastly it is thinner. The dev team is making a jailbreak for the 2G iPod touch by the way.

2. Jailbreak seems to be the necessary software for what I want. Kind of goes along with question 1, but can you use it on both versions?

You cannot jailbreak on the 2G iPod touch as of now. Only the 1G iPod touch. As said the Dev team is working on a jailbreak for the 2G iPod touch and they are making progress.

3. What are the major advantages to this Jailbreak program and/or what are your favorite things to do with it.

Well for one you have more applications, such as Stacks (Similar to the mac application), and imsomnia that Apple would not approve for the Appstore. So, in all you have a bunch of very good Apps and themes that would not be on 2.0 unless hacked.

4. I had that gPSP GBA emulator on my PSP and still have the ROMs. I can use those same ROMs on the ipod touch right?

Yes, I believe so. .gba roms if I am correct.

5. I could fit 2 or 3 full length movies on a 512MB card with my PSP after I used a converter, how does that compare to ipod?

Well, with the iPod you have to get the right version for yourself. 8 giga, 16 giga, or 32 giga. If you have alot of movies, go for the 32 or 16 gig iPod touch but in my experience, I would not trust that 8 gig iPod touch (The one I have) to hold alot of movies.

Does this reply answer your questions?

Update: Oh, and did I tell you that there is an app, (VNC4iPhone) that can play different movie formats. It might loosen your space load.

Some websites for you:

This is the team that is working on a Jailbreak for the 2G iPod touch. [Click here]

VNC4iPhone was made here [Click here]

For the VNC4iPhone thing though, I think it is still in beta.

Update: I was wrong. It is avalible publicly on Cydia.
  4. kevin1st

kevin1st Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    1. the 1st gen has jail break capiblities. 2 gen has volume rocker an dinternal speaker and hope fully jail beak coming son
    2. only gen 1 has jailbreak. it is nice an dis a little risky(might need too restor a few time)2g coming soon
    3.jail brak lets u get more apps via installer/ clydia. i know u can chage theams and a buch of other stuff. really for full comustization
    4.sorry but no idea
    5.depends on hte gb modle the 32 gb that i have holds about 40 hr of vid w/o any music apps photos ect.

hope i helped and welcome teh the fourms
  5. Goats go to Hell

Goats go to Hell New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Thanks for the responses. So far all of them have been helpful. The 5 questions were answered nicely by a couple posters and I'm getting more of the information I wanted.

A couple things I have to add from what I've read:

1. As for the movie part, I know it depends on what memory size you get. I was looking for more of a comparison on how much space they take up. I guess I worded it kind of poorly. Let me put it this way, generally how much space does a movie take up in a medium quality format?

2. How good are the chances that they'll come out with a hack for 2nd generation? What's the timeframe for this? I know they take time and I appreciate those who do it, I'd just like to know to help my decission of which gen to get.
  6. dashwood03

dashwood03 New Member

- the 2nd generation ipod touch is the one that has volume control at the side. it is faster, lighter, more updated than the 1G ipod touch. BUT 2G cannot be jailbroken yet.

- 1G can be jailbroken. If you decide to buy the 2G, don't worry because the 2G jailbreak will be out, sooner or later.

- as i said, the 2G cannot be JB yet.

- 1G can.

- you can install 3rd party apps that apple doesn't usually allow. you can put themes, and many more.

- don't worry about JB because it is 100% safe. even if u mess with it, you can fix it instantly by doing a restore.

- you'll be fine just jailbreak first then lots of applications will follow.

- yes, GBA ROMs is free when you jailbreak. you'll find it how once you install it. if you'll have problems about GBA ROMs, just post it.

- you can fit more than 512MB movies on your ipod. if you'll buy a 32GB ipod touch, oh man, that's a lot of movies.

Please Register or Log in to view images

- just convert your movies to ipod mp4. it depends on your converter software. it will be easy, then sync it in itunes.

6. Any other important information you think I should know

- yeah, if u have other questions, feel free to ask. good luck.

------------------double post merged------------------
    A couple things I have to add from what I've read:

1. As for the movie part, I know it depends on what memory size you get. I was looking for more of a comparison on how much space they take up. I guess I worded it kind of poorly. Let me put it this way, generally how much space does a movie take up in a medium quality format?

- on my own experience, it will take up 400MB per movie. it's high quality. the MB will be smaller because of the converter.

2. How good are the chances that they'll come out with a hack for 2nd generation? What's the timeframe for this? I know they take time and I appreciate those who do it, I'd just like to know to help my decission of which gen to get.

- for me, i really don't know, but lot of people say that the DEV team is really working hard for that. and it will be soon.

check out this link for more info.

http://www.ifans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103560

this is what you're looking for.

7. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    Welcome to iPod touch Fans.

1. I'll use iTunes movies as an example. Typically, these movies are 1GB to 2GB in size, but they're high quality. So with an 8GB iPod touch, that's a good 4 or 5 movies based on average length/size.
    2. It's a work in progress, although I'm unsure of the time frame that this will take. This being your first iPod touch, I'd recommend getting the 2nd-gen iPod touch. The App Store is a great alternative to jailbreak, and a jailbreak might follow anyways. You can follow the iPhone Dev Team and their route towards a 2nd-gen jailbreak by visiting their blog.

And thanks for mentioning my post!