SIM Unlock Adapter card give cydia?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by arikado, Apr 6, 2009.

1. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    alright so i'm purchasing off an iphone 3g that was unlocked using a SIM unlock adapter card.

does it have cydia?

If not, how do i go about getting it into my already unlocked iphone? Do i have to restore and quickpwn it over instead?
  2. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

No the SIM would not do anything software wise to the phone. It only fools the phone to think it has an at&t SIM in it.

To get Cydia you'll need to Jailbreak it.
  3. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Thanks!

Lets say the iPhone is unlocked, but no cydia.

Would I have to restore? and Quickpwn it all over? Or is there a more efficient way?

Also, when i click restore, does it restore me to 2.2.1? or an older version?
  4. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Technically the iPhone is not unlocked if it is using the SIM adapter.

Assuming the phone is on baseband 2.30.03 just jailbreak it anyway you want. If it is on 2.28.00 you can JB and unlock it and get rid of the SIM adapter.

Do you have the iPhone yet?

The restore will not hurt anything unless it is on 2.28.00 which you don't want to lose.
  5. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Ahh, i see. I do not have the iPhone yet, but it will be shipped out soon, so i want to clarify some things before i accept the shipment

So, i'll take the sim card adapter out. Then it will be locked. I can then use quickpwn to jailbreak + unlock it for good. Do I ever need to be connected to itunes?
    In what firmware would my iPhone be in, after all of this?
  6. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Since the phone is using a SIM adapter I would guess that it is on 2.30.03 which is not unlockable at this time.

The best you will be able to do is jailbreak it with Quickpwn.

I would check when you get the phone that it is on modem firmware (aka baseband) 2.30.03: If it is on anything else it is unlockable. Any 3G is jailbreakable.
  7. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh Okay.

Wait, if I have the SIM Unlock adapter, does that mean i can just freely update to 2.2.1 firmware, and jailbreak it?

Ill keep my sim unlock adapter in. So does that mean I will have an iPhone 3g, unlocked, jailbroken, and in firmware 2.2.1?
  8. Achy9

Achy9 Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    The sim adapter is nothing but a sim card that goes under your normal sim card and tricks the phone into thinking your sim card is an at&t sim card.

You can update to 2.2.1 all you want, the sim unlock adapter does NOT do anything other than unlocking. It's not a software.
    You can jailbreak 2.2.1 easily, yes.

If you do keep the sim card in it, then yes, you will have an unlocked jailbroken iPhone that is on 2.2.1.

BUT (a very big but),

IF the iPhone was NEVER (other than using Pwntool/Quickpwn) updated to 2.2.1, then there is a software called yellowsn0w you can get which unlocks the phone without having to deal with an extra sim card adapter. It's the best way to unlock the phone for the time being.
    IF the iPhone was updated to 2.2.1 using iTunes, the ONLY way to unlock is using the sim card adapter (yellowsn0w does not work).

Just ask the person what the baseband of the phone is (make him take a screenshot of it and send it to you if you want to be 100%sure). Like Drew stated, 2.30.03 is the non-yellowsn0w unlockable baseband. Since the phone comes with the adapter though, it probably IS on that baseband.

Sorry for the confusing explanation, I hope it somewhat helped.
  9. geetee03

geetee03 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    You might not want to upgrade your firmware right away. A co-worker of mine had the sim adapter with 2.2, it already had the sim adapter when he bought it. after he jailbroke & updated the firmware and now that same sim adapter does not work, nor does yellowsn0w, he has to get another sim adapter.
  10. arikado

arikado New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Achy9- That cleared up A LOT. Thanks !

geetee03 - Ahhh, that is my only fear now. Is there a way to check what sim adapter is compatible with 2.2.1 or whatnot? Also, do you think is it the jailbreak, that affected the adapter, or was it simply the firmware update to 2.2.1?

as for DrewGzy, thank you so much man! you've always answered all of my questions, and you're the greatest help here.