SIM Swap?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TerraPhantm, Jun 25, 2009.

1. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Hi, I'm currently on AT&T, and my mom (who is on a seperate plan completely) is eligible for an upgrade while I'm not. Would I be able to buy the 3G S under her plan, therefore extending her contract, and then put my SIM card in the iPhone? If that is possible, would she be able to drop the iPhone data plan after putting her sim card back in a regular "dumb phone"? Thanks.
  2. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    big question is does she want to give up that upgrade? Getting a phone subsidized is a big deal since it doesnt happen that often.
  3. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    She doesn't like any of the phones AT&T offers, so she already got an unlocked phone from ebay; it's not really an issue. She also doesn't see herself leaving AT&T any time soon (all her friends are on AT&T so the mobile to mobile really saves a lot of money). I'm pretty sure the sim swap will work, I just want to be sure that she wouldn't have to keep the data plan if she isn't using the iPhone.
  4. mattym

mattym New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    From what i understand about how AT&T handles this, no. At least not initially.

You can tell them she wants to change her phone plan back to a normal one and use another phone. But you need to do this at least 1 month after you have had the 3GS, cause if it works like the old rules for the 3G did, she will have to return the phone if the plan was changed within the month.

I can be wrong tho.
  5. TerraPhantm

TerraPhantm Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    Anyone else care to chime in? I'm fine with paying an extra $30, but having the $30/month for the 2 year term when not using the iphone on that account would suck.