Silicone case or sleeve case?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by utternutter, Nov 8, 2008.

1. utternutter

utternutter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
  2. iPTF_BROWSER

iPTF_BROWSER Active Member

Device:
    HTC One
    I would personally get the silicon, it barely adds on any thickness and you can grip it well.
  3. Jarlath

Jarlath Retired Moderator

Silicone cases won't offer much protection from drops. They're fairly easy to use though. Hard cases protect better from longer drops and will keep the iPod's casing from getting dented (they'll take the blow better), but may be less... user-friendly, depending on the case.
  4. utternutter

utternutter New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    So, in terms of drop protection it's pretty much

sleeve cases < silicone cases < hard cases

I don't quite like the look of the polycarbonate cases though. Are there more stylish looking hard cases around?
  5. Baker5

Baker5 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (White)
    nah i dont think so just go with the silicon its easy to put on and very durable and he adds almost no thickness
  6. Joe Rossignol

Joe Rossignol Community Manager Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    If you're looking for a good looking case that offers ease of use, get a silicone case. But, like mentioned, they aren't good for protecting the iPod against drops. Silicone cases are typically only good for protecting against scratches and small dents.

Most hard cases are made from polycarbonate plastic, but there are a few other types of hard cases made of different plastic. Speck does have a polycarbonate hard case, but I think it's nice. It's called the Speck SeeThru, and they made many improvements on this case from the original case for the 1st-gen iPod touch.

If you're determined on getting a non-polycarbonate case, check out Case-Mate's Naked Case, which is a hard case made out of acrylic. Or, check out Belkin's hard case, that is also made out of acrylic.

There's also Griffin's Elan Form case, which although has an inner hard shell made out of polycarbonate, it has an outer leather shell which hides this hard polycarbonate plastic that you dislike.

Last but not least, Incase has a hard case that has a rubberized coating, which makes it soft and provides great grip.

There's so many choices that don't need to necessairly be polycarbonate, and this is only a stepping stone to the whole selection.