iPhone 3GS Sign Up With Cydia To Downgrade Your 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by studangerous, Sep 15, 2009.

1. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    As many of you are now aware, Apple's cat and mouse game has ensured that most 3GS users cannot downgrade from 3.1 to 3.0 due to a code signing issue.

Saurik however did open up a Cydia ECID storage facility just prior to the 3.1 upgared that 50,000 lucky 3.0 iPhone 3G users registered on, allowing them to ability to downgrade.

As an exploit has been found in 3.1 it looks hopeful that this too will be jailbroken at some point soon. So to ensure you will be able to downgrade to in future you should have Cydia save your 3.1 ECID.

Read Saurik's excellent article here for more details on this. It's a bit lengthy but highly informative and necessary reading for all 3GS owners.
  2. John5p

John5p Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    i might get a 3gs so this is an awsome backup method if i consider for one.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Ryan

Ryan Well-Known Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
  4. atomicmufin

atomicmufin Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    my ecid has been backed up for weeks.
  5. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    I knew saurik that was a great person before his post, but now I have to say that I really love this guy. Not only is saurik an awesome dev responsible for several important key applications for jailbroken iPhones/iPods, but he also passionately cares about the ethical and social implications and consequences of his involvement. Such a combination is a precious and rare thing and he reminds me of the great Richard Stallman.

There are differences between the different kinds of backups, with saurik's method being the most complete and therefore convenient to use. Read the post by saurik Stu linked, it is an excellent read.

The confusion probably stems from the fact that everybody in this forum seems to use the term 'ECID' when they mean either a signed iBSS, the purplerain file (SHSH for iBSS) or saurik's SHSH database (SHSH for all files in the firmware).
  6. beeshabo

beeshabo Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    I'm a very patient person..these guys work VERY hard and I appreciate all the stuff they do for the iPod/iPhone Jailbreak community.

Keep up the good work!!!!
  7. davidsomen

davidsomen New Member

Months ago I backed up the iBEC and iBSS onto my computer after the dev team told us to but that's all. Are these files useless to me now?
  8. ryanangus

ryanangus Active Member

If the 3GS has all this extra security then wouldn't the 3rd Gen iPod too? Or isn't it in the 3rd Gen?

Please Register or Log in to view images

9. Ezekeel

Ezekeel New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    No they are not useless and neither is the purplerain file; so do NOT delete them. Problem is that these files are only the minimum essential files which in principle makes it possible to downgrade to 3.0, however no tool has been published yet to use these files. On the other hand, saurik's method saves the SHSH for all files in the firmware which makes it possible to conveniently downgrade to 3.0 simply be redirecting iTunes to saurik's server. Read saurik's post for further details.

I heard pretty little about hardware details concerning the 3g from reliable sources, however I would bet my left testicle that Apple has also implemented the latest ECID 'security feature' in the 3g.
  10. macguy90

macguy90 New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    jailbreaking is worthless-

I'm sorry, but after having bad jailbreaking experiences on 3 different iPhones or iPod Touch's...I have developed a HATRED of jailbreaking. I think it's ridiculous to spend the time people spend trying to find "holes" in Apple's firmware. Apple creates their firmware to impress their consumers & meet their needs, why should we challenge that!? In my months as a jailbreaker, I recall countless hours trying to update the firmware & also performance decreases when jailbroken. There is also a 20-30% chance that your device could become "bricked" after jailbreaking, and I was in that range THREE times. I was stupid enough to stay in the world of jailbreaking as long as I did. I'll be honest, I am not a pro jailbreaker BUT I know I did everything right & used various methods to be sure I did. But nevertheless, I found jailbreaking to be a pain in the neck, long, & just plain useless. I could see why before the App Store came out, but since 2008 the App Store has grown so much...whats the point of jailbreaking?

So, my main point is stay legit! Don't jailbreak your perfectly good Apple devices. Its a hassle to upgrade the firmware, risky & time consuming. iPhone users- just pay the monthly AT&T bill & enjoy the iPhone as Apple intends it. Thanks.