Sigh.

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by SkylarEC, Jun 4, 2009.

1. SkylarEC

SkylarEC Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

I'm at the point now where I am starting to get bored with the iPhone. I can do anything I want on it and there is absolutely no challenge in any aspect of coding for it anymore.

I mean, I have a solid days' worth of coding left for PocketTouch, and it's done; and about an hour or two left on my little Photo Booth like app (iPicFudger), but I can't even bring myself to work on either of them.

I want to write up tutorials, but I am just so sick of having to explain the basics. And I can't get to any more fun or interesting tutorials because you need the basics before you should learn more advanced stuffs.

I don't know. Any suggestions? It's like I have total mega coders' block. That's my problem. As with all things, as soon as there's no challenge left, I lose interest fast.
  2. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Sometimes I wish I was in your shoes. But I understand where you are coming from. If I think of any ideas I'll post them.

Please Register or Log in to view images

3. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Write a book/ebook about coding. Sell it on the App Store & Kindle. Make a better Twitter app than Twitteriffic & Tweetie and sell it for 99 cents. Control the market.
  4. Chicken

Chicken Retired Moderator

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Yeah what Teslanaut said, take Erica Sadun's path, write a book. Although again you have to go through the basics :/
  5. centroid

centroid New Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    Are you proficient in graphics? If so try porting a flash game onto the iphone. When you say coder's block, are you looking for ideas?
  6. ipodtouchmaster05

ipodtouchmaster05 Well-Known Member

Device:
    iPhone 5 (Black)
    You dont have to make basic tutorials first, if you want you should make some advanced tutorials meant for those who already know the basics.
  7. fear_2670

fear_2670 Banned

I wish i was in your shoes, when it comes to web design of course, it seems like a never ending journey of hassle.
  8. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    I agree
  9. Cyanidepoison

Cyanidepoison Active Member

Do something radical and creative with user-interface design.

When I get bored I try to think of something really repetitive that I do a lot and try to do it differently/faster. I felt the same way as you back when I was writing in Python. I wrote so many programs and stuff that I started writing little libraries, then I got really bored and switched to C.

A nice visualizer would probably sell a lot on the App Store.
  10. Pelaez-1

Pelaez-1 New Member

Device:
    iPhone
    In my experience, writing UIs is just coding, not programming.

The cool thing of programming is to solve problems.

To be honest Skylar, I don't think you can do anything, you might know the frameworks at a very high level, but not all problems require knowing the frameworks, there are many interesting problems that only require an standard input and a standard output.

Go find some of those and solve them, not to release them, but to have fun.