*sigh* (Infighting)

Discussion in 'Site feedback, suggestions, and discussions' started by Mindfield, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

I don't get it.

I imagine there are probably quite a few youngsters in their early or mid teens (or even younger) around here. (Yeah, yeah. Get off my lawn.) The immaturity associated with such age is the only thing I can think of to explain it -- but not excuse it.

I'm talking about the idiotic, pointless ripping to shreds of "n00b" questions and comments. I see it quite frequently, but the last straw came when I read this thread.

Sure, it's in the FAQ. It's a pretty well known feature. (Hey, it took me a couple of weeks before *I* discovered it) But some people don't know about it. It would have been nice if the OP read the FAQ or searched the forums before posting -- that goes for any posts about stuff that's already been covered -- but chicken fried Christ, was there really a need for dozens of freakin' posts attacking him for it? Calling him names, bashing him for not knowing that little tidbit?

No. No, there wasn't. At all.

Look, we all start somewhere. Along the way we discover neat things we want to tell people about only to discover that we seem like we're the last person on the planet that discovered it. It happens. People need to understand that, and a gentle reminder or two is one holy hell of a lot better than whipping out your E-p*nis and beating them over the head with it while referring to them as stupid, retarded n00bs.

There really ought to be a punitive system in place for dumbass crap like that. Two, three strikes for engaging in high dumbassery and you get your ass banninated.

This could be an awesome community but for the idiocy and determined immaturity of certain members. It already is an awesome community, really, but the rude, mouthy morons really cast a pall over it and make this a decidedly more intimidating place for new users who may -- just may -- really not know any better.

If someone commits the unforgivable faux-pas of asking a question that's been covered already or offering up some little tip or trick that's already been committed to the FAQ, then please, quietly point them in the right direction. Don't bend them over and kick them there.

To those who were the inspiration for this post: Grow the hell up. You don't crap rainbows and daisies yourself, you know. Once upon a time, you knew less than the people you're crapping on. Get over yourselves before you knock someone over with that ego.

To those who have been ripped on: Stick around. The opinions of the idiots are worthless. There's a lot of gold around here. Just don't let all the fecal deposits dropped by the above morons blind you to it.

To the mods: Here are your jackboots. Go kick some hynie.
  2. TheRapture

TheRapture New Member

Agreed
    There is way to much immaturity And Usless threads
    We need something done
  3. Ryuukumori

Ryuukumori New Member

Two words:

I Agree!!!

This place really needs to shape up when it comes to inconsistent threads and posts already mentioned and/ or posted. If it takes more mods, or even support from everyone to act out with a sincerety that "directs" somewhat new members instead of "attacking" them, I'd say ipodtouchfans would be a new heaven.

But I can't say that entirely truthful, since there is NO way to keep members from doing what they do. It's human nature, and it will always be... for all of eternity.

Nonetheless, I agree, 9999999999999999% of it.
  4. Mindfield

Mindfield New Member

There may not be ways to stop idiots from doing it, but dilligent moderation can certainly deal with it before it becomes a problem. It's not really that hard, even.

1. User posts A) A question already asked and answered, B) A tip already covered in the FAQ, or C) A rather pointless post.

2. A mod steps in, responds appropriately (directs user to relevant previous post and/or FAQ as required) and locks the thread. The user has the information they need and no one gets ripped on.

3. If someone chimes in with nuggets of wisdom pulled from their bum, a mod either deletes the post itself or edits its content either to delete it (if it's wholly offensive) or censor it (if it contains unkind language), and warns the offending member not to do it again, and then goes to Step 2.

4. If it is an ongoing discussion in which said nugget was dropped, and it (the thread) contains new or relevant or interesting information such that locking is not necessary, then a mod can go with Step 3 and omit the locking bit.

Responsible moderation really is the difference between order and anarchy and it would be nice to see more of it. I'd be happy to volunteer if it came to that, but mostly I'd just really like to see this turn into a much friendlier and approachable community where new users won't be afraid to pitch in for fear of getting the bum's rush or worse. Yeah, in an ideal forum new users would read the FAQ and search the boards -- but ideals are impossible standards to demand. New users are always going to ask repeat questions. That's just life, and it has to be dealt with on those terms, preferably without snark or insult.

There's no excuse for someone to respond to a thread for the sole purpose of beating on someone. That's bad enough. When a bunch of others come in and do the exact same thing even after having read others doing it -- that's just weapons-grade stupid.
  5. steve19137

steve19137 New Member

you know, i thank you for creating this post. i have been wondering for a long time if someone is going to tell everyone that we've had enough of the "anti-n00bists". this is exactly what i wanted to see, and im going to put this post in my signature. thank you, thank you, thank you. and btw, THANK YOU.
  6. spoonforknife

spoonforknife Retired Moderator

Umm.. not to call you a nubcake, but this thread is 1.5 years old.
  7. Duykur

Duykur Banned

it's relevant to many new developments happening now, shockingly.
  8. studangerous

studangerous Super Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The best course of action is to provide help to the member and then remind them of the correct etiquette (searching, reading the rules, checking FAQ etc.) all done politely and courteously. However there's a lot of members too ready and willing to just sound off for the sake of it. We're always trying to crack down on this and make the forums a great place for all, new and old alike.
  9. CheeseMo

CheeseMo Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I agree with everything said here. But here is the thing, I just turned 13, so you are pretty much talking about me...