Show WEP key

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by w0mbat, Oct 30, 2007.

1. w0mbat

w0mbat New Member

Hi,

My ipod touch is working on a network at work and someone typed the WEP key in for me. He is away for a few days and I may need to restore my device which I think will wipe this setting.

Is there any way of getting the ipod to show the WEP key which was input so I can type it in after a restore?
  2. computer_geek_19

computer_geek_19 New Member

In the computer

go to Control Panel and select Wireless Setup Network Wizard, click Next and select Add new computer or devices to (name of network) network, click Next. Select Set up a network manually and click Next and finally click on Print Network Settings, it should show you the WEB Key.

hope it helps.
  3. w0mbat

w0mbat New Member

thanks, but it's not on the PC it's on my ipod. The pc uses an ethernet connection so I can't get the WEP key from it...
  4. computer_geek_19

computer_geek_19 New Member

oh sorry I wouldn't know that
  5. Pieczony

Pieczony New Member

I was looking for this on my touch and i see there is no way to show the key.
  6. phroztbyt3

phroztbyt3 New Member

can you get into your router from a different pc... or is this a manually set access point? If this is just a simple wireless router, you could get into your router with just a bit of information, and find the key. Otherwise call your tech or wait ^_^

Or maybe, try stumbler and see if it recognizes your connected network, sometimes stumbler tends to show a good amount of info (for the touch)
  7. w0mbat

w0mbat New Member

thanks for all of your advice.

I'll give stumbler a go tomorrow. The urgency to restore my ipod has gone now as another thread helped me sort out my other issue. It may be easier to wait for the person to get back from holiday and I'll write the key down this time!

Many Thanks
  8. ayuzer

ayuzer New Member

well since its WEP, it wont be that difficult to crack.
    Try common passwords such as the default one (admin) or your location's phone number
    usually when I need quick access to wifi, I usually try the password -admin- and it works half of time
  9. torrobinson

torrobinson New Member

On mine, I'd go to 192.168.0.1, log in, and then there's a place to see/edit the wep key. You just have to be connected to that router......is that what you mean?
  10. w0mbat

w0mbat New Member

no, I'm after the WEP key for the network that is stored on the ipod. The one that was typed in when I first connected to it.