Should I?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by brendanm, Oct 10, 2009.

1. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Hey,

So I have a 16GB White iPhone 3G in Canada connected through Rogers. When I first got the phone back when the 3GS came out, the first thing I did was apply the jailbreak... Now the problem I noticed was decreased battery life, it was horrible. Even now, my phone's charge doesn't last much after a basic school day. So I'm wondering if anything has changed with the firmware updates?

Or if anyone knows a easy way to maintain the default battery life. I mean, if I can jailbreak and find a way to maintain battery life then I'll do it. Before I do it, I'll obviously need to downgrade to 3.0!
  2. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  3. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    So from what I get from reading that, basically if I follow those steps and watch what I use via Cydia I'd be fine to jailbreak?

I'd probably just use Winterboard and the ringtones you can get through Cydia, and maybe the occasional other app such as MewSeek.
  4. bobby681

bobby681 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    You should be fine with that, I pretty much have that set up aswell and my battery life's fine.
  5. Bubalooshi

Bubalooshi Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3GS (Black)
    That's one of the two reasons my iPhone 3GS isn't jailbroken.

1. Slightly laggy / glitchier (Drives me insane)
    2. Decreased battery life
  6. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    @Bobby: Yeah, pretty much all I need it for. I don't get 3G at my house, only at school and in town really so I'm not on it constantly, but I'm a heavy texter which is what's really killing my battery.

@Buba: It's not really laggy, you'd be perfectly fine if you stay away from resource hogs... It's the same as Windows Vista, it's fine if you don't have a bunch of programs running in the background. Battery life only goes if your using SSH and such, which isn't needed unless your getting into some heavy technical stuff.

I have dial-up at home so I can't really re-download a new jail-break program, I went to a different location and downloaded redsn0w 0.8 and 3.0 restore, so I'll restore and jail-break since there isn't much difference between 3.0 and 3.1.2!

Here's my question; I'm currently running 3.1.2, do I have to restore through iTunes before jailbreaking or would redsn0w handle that? I can't remember if it creates a custom IPSW... I'm pretty sure all it does is hack into your iPhone and add in Cydia/Icy whichever one you prefer and leave everything the way it is now.

I don't wanna go on taking any chances though...
  7. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    Not to be rude, but if you read the whole post you'd understand I'm going to downgrade to 3.0!
  8. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Unless you have your ECID on file with Saurik (Cydia), or your own server you can't downgrade!

I had assumed you had a 3GS with factory installed 3.1 (out of the box 3.1).
  9. brendanm

brendanm New Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (White)
    I actually have the iPhone 3G. It came out with stock 2.2.1, I believe. A few days later, 3.0 came out the same time as iPhone 3GS did so I upgraded. Now, I'm upgraded to 3.1.2!

Here's what I want to know will work:

Plug iPhone in, while powered on. Go to iPhone page in iTunes and shift+restore and go to the 3.0 restore firmware I have, restore to 3.0 and then after that's done do the jailbreak via redsn0w 0.8?

Now do you understand? confusing, I know but still....
  10. DrewGzy

DrewGzy Active Member

Wow,

Sorry about that - I read the 3GS part of your post and didn't really think about what I was reading.

I have not played with a 3G on Windows for a long time. You should be able to do exactly what you are wanting to do; would be best to put it in DFU mode and restore it to the 3.0 like you are talking about.

Sorry about my previous post(s); had 3GS stuck on the brain!