Should I Use My iMac 27" As Display For PC Gaming Rig Or Not?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by Awesome, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Like the title says, I plan on building a gaming rig but I am choosing if I am going to hook up the PC to the iMac 27" or if i should just buy a monitor. The reason why I ask is because there are some drawbacks to using the iMac 27" display, as there are only a few ATI minidisplay port graphic cards that will hook up to the iMac 27", (see here for info on that: http://www.overclock.net/ati/794142-...splayport.html) Also, another drawback to the display is that you have to use it in "target display mode" which means that the iMac computer itself on OS X has to been on at all times, and putting the PC to sleep with the iMac monitor will cause the computer to freak out causing it to reboot (see here: http://forums.appleinsider.com/showp...6&postcount=93)

The drawback with the PC monitor is that it will cost me more money rather than just using my current iMac display, as this gaming rig is costing me $2000+. Not to mention the fact that i won't be able to enjoy the 27" LED beauty with a PC monitor that is cheap.

So My main question is: What are some good and cheap monitor's that you might recommend to me?

Thanks,

Awesome
  2. Person

Person Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Well the iMac 27 you have has an ATI 4850 and that is fine for gaming. You could just use that.
  3. Awesome

Awesome Banned

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Lol that's nowhere near enough. 512mb of graphics memory at a 2560 x 1440 resolution? What was Apple thinking? Well now they have the 5750 with 1GB. But that's not enough. I need to hook up my gaming rig that has an intel 980x i7 extreme processor and 6GB of 2000MHz tri channel memory here, that's why i made this thread.
  4. Person

Person Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Oh true... Forgot about the resolution.

Ummm just save some money by cutting down on the CPU. Honestly as long as you have a high end dual core or average quad core processor gaming will be fine. Processor doesn't even matter much in gaming. Go for a good GPU like a GTX 480 (stay AWAY from a 5970) and an i5/i7 quad core (maybe an AMD Phenom II X4 or hex core X6 if you want to save a lot of money and get equal performance.

The i7-980X is overpriced bullsh*t. An i7-920 or 930 would be great.

With the saved money from CPU cost, buy a good monitor.

I would recommend (as rig parts) (on a budget, but if you can pay $2000 then go with the i7-930)

AMD Phenom II X6-1090T (hex core) $280
    Motherboard $100
    GTX 480 $450
    Memory $200
    Good cooled case $100
    7200RPM Hard drive $150
    Blu-Ray drive - $100

Total: $1380 and a good $300 monitor

Seriously, you don't need the 980X for gaming. Save money on the CPU and buy a good monitor.
  5. iCrap

iCrap Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    Wait... you can use the iMac as a monitor? wtf how?

I would do that if you can. Apple displays are generally awsome

oh but if you want a new one the Asus 24" is good (cant remember the model number)
    around $200
  6. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    While it'll be cheaper to use the imacs monitor it will mean you only have one monitor. I'd save up and buy a dedicated monitor. I'd never have one monitor between two computers.