Should I upgrade to a 2G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Noisemaker, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

I have a week to decide.

I can even exchange my 16GB 1G for a 16GB 2G.

I love my Jailbroken apps, but I know a Jailbreak will come out eventually for the 2G. Maybe not for a few months, but eventually.

I don't use a lot of appstore apps, and without a jailbreak I'd really only be using the Touch for media and mobile email/web, rather than using it as a full computer replacement like I have with my jailbroken 1G.

That being said, would it still be worth it to upgrade? I likely won't have another chance to upgrade later, but I'd still have Apple's 1 year warranty for another 9 months in case anything should go wrong with the 1G.

What do you guys think? Should I upgrade, or stick with my Jailbroken 1G for good?
  2. dyeung

dyeung New Member

As much as i agree that this is a forum for discussion on all thing ipod. I dont think anyone can really help you but YOU. Your know everything that 2G has to offer and 1G has to offer and you know your situation and what you require. Nobody but you can really make an informed decision but YOU.

I will add two thigns though. Some days i wish i had a 1G simply because of jb but other days im glad i had 2G because of the faster CPU (did i just make your decision even harder?) and all that other stuff.

No matter what your decision is there is going to be some sacrifice so just pick one. You'll be happy and pissed off at one stage or another regardless of which one you pick.
  3. touchin'isgood

touchin'isgood New Member

If I were you I'd upgrade, so your PC would have some more useful to you than to just filling your iPod (cos you said now you are using 1g for PC replacement).
  4. Jonezed7

Jonezed7 New Member

Make your own choice?
  5. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    neither - get a zune. haha just kidding.

hard call. I love my 1g, but if I could replace it with a 2g for an even exchange I would have a hard time deciding also.
  6. andyt4097

andyt4097 New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    It all comes down to the JB and the speaker, and the physical volume rocker. If the speaker is a big deal to you, go with the speaker. If you cant live with out your JB Apps, then stay with the 1G.
  7. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

Thanks for the replies everyone.

The main advantages I see on the 2G are the faster cpu, the better battery life, and the slightly better wi-fi range.

I'm leaning towards upgrading, just because I know a JB will come eventually. It will suck waiting, but it's not like I can't go without JB apps. Using my Touch this morning, I realized that what I mainly use it for now is for music and mobile web. Sure, I like having a nice theme and custom background, and I like getting new stuff in Cydia, but the slight lag time on some stuff is annoying, and having my battery drain down to 50% after 45 mins in Safari kind of sucks.

Obviously, I'd miss jailbreak. If only for the fact that I'm a tech geek and like tweaking settings and such. But, the 2G is looking pretty appealing.
  8. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I've never owned both personally, but my little bro has the 1G and I have the 2G. Although a JB is nice, now using both systems, I would never go to a 1G, even if they never JB the 2G. Sure it would be nice to have a JB, but I can wait. It will happen eventually because if humans can make it, they can break it.
  9. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

It's the truth. I have no doubt that it WILL be jailbroken. I mean, within a few weeks there will be Chronic Dev and the Dev Team working on a JB for it. Someone will crack it eventually. Who knows - Apple may even add themes in the next firmware update. We can't see the future, but there are tons of possibilities.

As far as Mewseek, it almost killed my Touch the other day. And, I just found my old Gameboy Pocket, which makes playing GB games so much more nostalgic.

Please Register or Log in to view images

Is there any sort of keyboard lag in Safari with the 2G? That's something that drives me nuts with the 1G....
  10. JohnyW

JohnyW New Member

I haven't experienced any really. Unless the page is still loading it's a little laggy, but other then that it's very smooth.