Should I learn C before Objective-C?

Discussion in 'iOS Development' started by iMicky, Aug 22, 2010.

1. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Hey guys, so I'm a total beginner at any sort of programming. I do have some coding experience in HTML but I haven't written any actual scripts.

I want to start coding some apps for the iPhone and possibly Mac OS X and I'm willing to learn, but I'm unsure where to start. I've bought a book on Objective-C and have been reading it over the past few days, but the book is very poorly written and I'm having a hard time understanding the more complicated stuff - despite the book being aimed at beginners like myself.

I have heard that I'd be better starting with C and then going on to apply that knowledge in Objective-C, but before I do that I was wondering if that would in fact be the best course of action.
    I could end up sounding like a total noob to you guys, but we all have to start somewhere I guess...

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think that learning C first would be very helpful. Once you feel comfortable with C, then I would look at Apress's Beginning iPhone 3 Development: Exploring the SDK. I used an older version of this book (made for iOS 2.2.1) when learning Objective-C and it was very helpful.
  3. iMicky

iMicky New Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    Okay, thanks. I've been doing a little more reading online and that does seem to be the suggestion most people give if you are completely new to Apple programming.

I've been considering that book but I was unsure whether I should get one covering the actual Objective-C language and then an iPhone SDK specific one. Does it cover the language well enough or do you think I would be better off buying separate ones?

Thanks.

4. TechnoEagle

TechnoEagle Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I think that it covers the language pretty well. When I first got the book, the only language I knew was Java, but now I am getting ready to publish my first iPhone app thanks to this book.
  5. dunk

dunk New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    Good for you Eagle!
    Thanks fof your recommendation, I'm also a beginner.
    I was also having the confusion as Micky does.
    Hope that we could advance together Micky. lol
  6. Steaps

Steaps New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    From me learning Objective-C first (Working on C right now), I recommend learning C first.
    Good luck!
  7. bddckr

bddckr Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I recommend Cocoa and Objective-C - Up and Running: http://cocoabook.com/
    It covers C by beginning with it and only tells you the stuff you need to know. God, I wish I had this book when I started!
  8. flyingguitar

flyingguitar Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I actually started with C++, which is very similar to C. I've never actually sat down to learn C before learning obj-C. But I know enough of it.
  9. nikjerry

nikjerry New Member

flyingguitar, I just want to say you that C is the basic of the C++. So if you start C++ before that you have to learn C so that it will become that much easy for you to understand C++, and the more thing that I want to say you that I also think that before learning C-objective we should learn C also.
  10. RandomEskimo

RandomEskimo Active Member

Device:
    iPad 2 (Black)
    I was going to learn obj C, but then the book I was reading said I would need a mac

, So I think when I have the time next year I will get a mac (or use VMWare) but for now I'm learning Java.