Should I jailbreak my new 4g?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by KeepingITfly, Oct 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KeepingITfly

KeepingITfly New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    I just got a 64gb iTouch 4g for school and daily use, I will use it with a bluetooth keyboard that I bought for it.
    It will basically be my everyday device and I will be using it as a portable laptop at school.

On this forum I see alot of people talking about jailbreaking their devices and how great it is and all of the advantages that come with it.

I have a few questions, for those of you who have jailbroken before. How hard was it to get familiarized with using programs like Cydia and installing things into your iTouch (I know nothing about these programs, only that you can get cool themes and free apps, but nothing about the technical part). What type of apps can you get by JBing your device? Is there an infinite range of apps for everything? Sort of like a free app store?

Are there any risks to JBing, I know of the battery drain issues when you tweak the iTouch, which might be a problem because I'll be using my iTouch for 7 hours or so during school.

Last question, if you got a brand new iTouch would you jailbreak it or leave it as is?

Thanks for everyone for reading the whole thing.

Please Register or Log in to view images

2. tinyman392

tinyman392 Super Moderator Staff Member

Device:
    iPhone 6
    I personally would jailbreak. It doesn't drain your battery, tweaks do. But it's Dependant with the person... Here's a quick list of the pros and cons...

Pros:
    -Full control of your device
    -Add features Apple doesn't want you to have
    -Themes
    -Tweaks that push your device to the fullest potential

Cons:
    -Can't update until jailbreak is updated
    -VOIDs warranty
    -Beta apps are sometimes unstable...

Mass crowd will tell you to update after this... Be prepared... This will be the only post with any cons.
  3. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    itss sooo easy, and we shall be here to help you every step of the way, there are also Loadz and loadz of tutorials you can follow

4. xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx

xX-SicKsKiLZz-Xx Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    it doesnt really, all you need to do is restore, apple doesn't say jack after that, i have been to the apple store and even sent my iDevices in with 100% success rate.
  5. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    jailbreak. you will not look back. i have a jailbroken 4G and i have experienced zero lag. my battery is the same.
    tinyman already put out all the pros and cons.
    the pros outweigh the cons. you really feel free when you jailbreak. it is awesome!

it is really easy to get familiar with cydia. all it is is searching and downloading different 3rd party apps. cydia is pretty fast and like i said easy to use.
    it is like a free app store, except of course there are some things that are not free, like paid themes, paid apps, but those are usually cheap. range from like .99 cents to idk 5 bucks? I really do not know because I do not have any of the paid apps.

jailbreaking is great.

a little off topic: which bluetooth keyboard do you have?
  6. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    Well, if you get stuck in a bootloop and get restore errors, you're still jailbroken... You're stuck with a brick now... Happened to someone's iPod
    Touch 4G already.

Not mine luckily.

I still say jailbreak, the pros outweigh the cons.
  7. KeepingITfly

KeepingITfly New Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Miera, "a little off topic: which bluetooth keyboard do you have?"
    I have the Apple Wireless Keyboard it requires 2 AA batteries and works VIA bluetooth with the iPad or iTouch. It's awesome.

Thank you guys I think I will actullly JailBreak my iTouch, if I get it bricked by doing something stupid I might just fake an accident and get it replaced

8. mkm159

mkm159 Well-Known Member

Device:
    5G iPod touch
    oh my. that thing is beautiful lol. i have to get me one of those haha
    thanks for tip!

and yes definitely jailbreak. you will not brick it. really. and if you need help, the forum is here to help

9. lolmao

lolmao Active Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    use greenpois0n or limera1n they're both the same jailbreaks, and they give the same result. just made by different people.
  10. tinyman392

Device:
    iPhone 6
    You can't brick it... There's something called DFU mode (Device Firmware Upgrade mode) that is built into the ROM (Read Only Memory, means it can't be removed/corrupted in any way) that allows you to always restore your iPod.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.