Should i get the iTV chunky?

Discussion in 'General Apple Chat' started by SwiftSkii, Sep 1, 2010.

1. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    You know, the old one. I wanna get one because..
    1.Youtube
    2. My tunes on my TV
    3. $99 used from amazon!

Should i get it?
    Anything that i should know?
  2. austers

austers Well-Known Member

Device:
    3G iPod touch
    It isn't called iTV.
  3. iMikkie

iMikkie Member

Device:
    iPad 3
    The new one does all of that, for the same price - and its new!?

Please Register or Log in to view images

4. TakenAppleDownAPeg

TakenAppleDownAPeg Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    no storage though
  5. jimbeam

jimbeam Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 3G (Black)
    I'm sure the USB port isn't just for show. Plus you can stream content from you computer. Then again you can put boxee on the old one and get everything the new one has and then some.
  6. Oliver Barker

Oliver Barker New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    The new one does all of that for the same price. Except its new, not used.
  7. SwiftSkii

SwiftSkii Active Member

Device:
    iPad
    Does the old one have Composite connectors (yellow, white and red)
    Any way to make these compatable?
  8. Tman47

Tman47 Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 4S (Black)
    I have the old Apple TV and I LOVE IT! When you hack it and enable backrow through SSH you can use external storage, run web browsers, Hulu, Boxee, etc. It's quite useful once you modify it a little, especially now since the price has come down and there's clearance on Apple.com where you can get them for $150.

There isn't composite connections, only component and HDMI, but through a little hacking http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNFCjKrVlc you can make it work through standard definition.

And yes you can netflix stream through Boxee. And Apple will make TV show rentals $.99 for every platform so no need to worry about that. It's also nice to sync since streaming from your computer all the time means your computer needs to be on all the time. It's nice and small enough (the fat ATV) to bring places like a friends house to watch movies or tv shows and not worry about connecting both your ATV and computer to a different network to stream.
  9. spitfirejay

spitfirejay New Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
    I just purchased one through www.powermax.com... Looking forward to seeing what it is capable of. I have a patchstick already created and ready to install ssh, boxee and xmbc. Any suggestions on further functionality that I should look into adding?

I read elsewhere that the generation 1 apple tv (I beleive that's the proper terminology now) runs a stripped down version of OS X tiger and that it is possible to load a full version of Tiger and run the apple tv like a stripped down mac mini.

Is it possible to upgrade the 256 mb ddr2 ram? If so, how big of a stick can it handle? And do you know if the wireless keyboard and magic mouse will connect to the apple tv? Thanks for your input in advance!
  10. wetdog

wetdog Guest

Yeah, should know the old ones were pieces of sh*t that sometimes worked and sometimes not. Mine worked best when I tore it out of my entertainment center and threw it out into the yard in a rage and let it sit over night in the rain. Then in morning when I thought it was toast and could take my rage out on it with a sledge hammer, I tried it one last time and it synced, just like new. Forget it, it is a lost cause. Save the money and get a good cable subscription.