Should i get a wireless router just for my ipod?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by solemn153, Dec 3, 2008.

1. solemn153

solemn153 New Member

where i live there arent alot of wifi connections and the few i have are hard to just sit in the spot and play on my ipod touch, one of them being gamestop lol. but all the others im around alot are usually locked or i just cant connect to them. with xmas coming up i was wondering if it would be worth it to get a wireless router just for my ipod??? i really want to use my ipod to its potential but nothing else in my house needs wireless.. :/

have a feeling im gonna get alot of yess but u never kno lol
  2. gsr1379

gsr1379 New Member

if you have a computer in your house with internet you can share the internet over the wifi in the computer on mac os it is called "internet sharing" windows I know can do it but I do not know what it is called.

Of course you would need a wifi card in you computer to do this (most all macs come with wifi) and your computer would need to be on for it to work.

Might be cheeper to buy a wifi adapter then a wireless router.
  3. Noisemaker

Noisemaker Banned

What kind of computer or computers are in the house? A wi-fi enabled computer can actually act as a wireless router.

Any recent laptop will have this function.

It's called an ad-hoc network. You create a wireless network, and it broadcasts the signal just like a router would.
  4. dyeung

dyeung New Member

Heres your justification. Wireless is the norm. Every single router ive bought had wireless capabilities. Anything and everything in the future will have some sort of wireless capabilities. Unless your ipod is the very last device you are going to buy. Your not buying the wireless router JUST for your ipod but all the devices after that.
  5. Kukumber

Kukumber New Member

Device:
    2G iPod touch
    And why wouldn't those devices work with a WLAN Dongle or card?
    If you ever switch your ISP you're gonna get a wireless router anyway so no point in buying a cheap router now, when you get a better one "for free" with your next contract...?
  6. solemn153

solemn153 New Member

my computer deosnt do this because i tried as that would have been much easier. and i dont know how to set that up on my computer. so would it be easier and better to do that with my computer or just buy the router??
  7. bimple

bimple New Member

Device:
    iPod touch
    get a wireless router - you can get one that is cheaper than a network card for your puter, and as other people said it will be useful for other devices. Just be sure to password protect it, so other people can't leech your bandwidth. Then you will need to convert your password to hex, because you have to enter the hex key on your iPod. If you use WEP you can do that here: http://www.wepkey.com/
  8. Teslanaut

Teslanaut Well-Known Member

Device:
    4G iPod touch
    Question. Do you or your family pay for internet access? If so, which is it? And what is your Service Provider? If its either DSL or Cable, I suggest you get a wireless Router. For both Security and to be able to connect to the internet with your iPod Touch.
  9. jordskee

jordskee Member

Device:
    iPhone 4 (Black)
  10. Idaltu

Idaltu New Member

Get a wireless router.

They're not expensive at around £60. The extra utility you'll get from the iPod will be worth it.