Should I get a new laptop or an iPad?

Discussion in 'Computing, Science, and Technology' started by KCooper, May 5, 2010.

1. KCooper

KCooper Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Okay guys, its time for you to persuade me.

My parents and I have discussed this, and we have came down to two options. I can either get a new laptop or I can get an iPad. I want an iPad, mainly to show off and enjoy. They look outrageously awesome, and I have a feeling I would enjoy it a lot. But, I also need a new laptop like there is no tomorrow; I am currently working with a HUGE Toshiba Satellite L355, running Windows Vista Basic.... *shudder*

So, what should my choice be? New laptop, or iPad?

Please Register or Log in to view images

Please help me, before I go crazy. Persuade me one way or the other.
  2. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    What are you mainly looking forward to do with it? How long do you want it to last? etc.
  3. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    As nburnes said, we need to know what youwould use it for
  4. KCooper

KCooper Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    Well, I'm currently leaning toward a new laptop. It's about 55/45 right now.

I would like an iPad because they seem like a cool investment. I play music regularly at school functions, and I don't like having to lag around a laptop all the time, so that would be handy.

I would also like a laptop though. My laptop is outdated, getting pretty slow (never was really fast to begin with), and I plan on working with editing programs and multimedia.

Ugh, if only I could have both. I've actually considered selling my iPod touch 2G 8GB to get a little extra moolah to get both... yarrgghh.
  5. jmwerkus

jmwerkus Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    laptop. iPad is not for you, and in actuality, a thin laptop is ideal for you.
  6. Blake

Blake Super Moderator Emeritus

Device:
    iPhone 4S (White)
    You need a laptop if you're going to be working with any kind of editing programs. If you save up and buy a GOOD laptop (ex. MacBook Pro) it would be a far better investment than an iPad.
  7. KCooper

KCooper Active Member

Device:
    iPhone 5S
    What about in terms of listening to music? I listen to music a lot, and currently use my iPod touch to do so. The iPad would be good for that, not a laptop.
  8. Nburnes

Nburnes Well-Known Member

Device:
    OnePlus One
    Then continue to use your iPod Touch. Ta-da

Please Register or Log in to view images

Or get a laptop with good integrated speakers or buy good headphones to connect to it. Plenty of options.
  9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I say to continue using your iPod Touch for music, it's a lot more portable than both a laptop and iPad.
  10. iPwn

iPwn Community Development Staff Member

Device:
    Nexus 4
    The MacBook Pro is great, but HIGHLY overpriced. Just buy a Dell inspiron laptop with an i5 processor, 4 GB RAM for $700-800 on it. Then install Linux. Linux doesnt get slow over time like Windows, and it boots up in 3 seconds and shuts down in less than a second. It's also ready to use AS SOON AS you log on. No need for logging on, and then waiting for everything to load before you actually start something.